Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to Tuscany

(9 Posts)
mcca Sat 04-Jun-05 23:51:06

Going to Tuscany next week with 3 young children. Self catering south of Pisa, can anyone advise on places to go, things to do where to eat etc.. with young children.
many thxs

Ellbell Sun 05-Jun-05 20:11:59

Hi mcca... Haven't been to Tuscany since having kids, so not a great deal of help, but Castiglione della Pescaia is great. Siena (where I lived for 6 months) is wonderful and relatively traffic free. You don't have to do much - just wander about, sit in a cafe on the Piazza del Campo and let the kids run about the square... lovely... oooh, I'm coming over all nostalgic. When I was a student, my fave place to eat in Siena was the Gallo Nero (pizza and Tuscan stuff) ... oh no, can't remember the address now, though. But anyway, kids will be welcome most places in Italy. Went to a wedding in Italy when my dd1 was 4 months old, and had a meal in a place where the waiter just picked her up and carried her around with him as he took the orders so that we could eat in peace! Have a lovely time....

Ellbell Sun 05-Jun-05 20:14:53

La grotta del Gallo Nero, Via del Porrione 67: here

paolosgirl Sun 05-Jun-05 20:18:22

We went to Tuscany last year - bliss. I'd echo Siena and the v. touristy but stunning San Giminiagno(sp?!). It's all beautiful though - take your time and stop in some of the little villages and towns, and enjoy the pace of life. Wonderful part of the world

Hausfrau Sun 05-Jun-05 20:37:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ellbell Sun 05-Jun-05 21:07:46

Oh yes, definitely go to San Gimignano.

snafu Sun 05-Jun-05 21:11:02

Yes, yes, yes, to San G. Utterly gorgeous.

Oh, am trying not to be too jealous. Just my favourite part of the world, bar none.

mcca Mon 06-Jun-05 21:30:15

Thanks for all your suggestions.Ellbell will try
out La grotta when in Sienna.thxs again ...

fsmail Mon 06-Jun-05 23:23:12

We have been to Viareggio twice, once with kids and once without. There is a lovely park if the beach becomes too hot (about £7 for the day but we just walked along the sea front from the public beach and sat down now and again) You are going out of the italian season so it should be quite quiet. All the beaches and cafes along the sea front have little play grounds so the kids will love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now