Talk

Advanced search

when can babies fly

(20 Posts)
monkeyfeet Wed 16-Sep-09 17:44:12

We are due to fly to Italy in three weeks time, our baby will be 6 weeks old, but he was preemie born at 36 weeks. Does anyone know when they can fly before we book our flights, hv worse than useless says 6 months!!

miamla Wed 16-Sep-09 17:46:17

when they grow their wings

(sorry, couldn't resist when i saw your title! No idea re sensible advice)

RubysReturn Wed 16-Sep-09 17:46:55

same as miamla!

Evolution emo grin

angel1976 Wed 16-Sep-09 20:25:47

Not sure if this helps but I was in the Maldives recently and there was a British mother there with a 7-week-old (and that was a 10-hour flight!). I'm sure you are fine...

PortAndLemon Wed 16-Sep-09 20:29:15

Check with the airline on their policy, but the only medical advice I've heard is not to fly long-haul before 6 weeks, so I think a couple of hours to Italy wouldn't be an issue provided the airlines are OK with it.

mummygirl Wed 16-Sep-09 21:50:57

completely up to the airline, it usually varies between 2 and 4 weeks. Contact them and ask.

Has he got a passport though, make sure you leave enough time to receive that before your flights are due

monkeyfeet Thu 17-Sep-09 06:53:14

thanks everyone

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 17-Sep-09 11:08:28

DD was born at 37 weeks and flew to UK from middle east at 3 weeks post birth, so essentially on her due date. I didn't think to ask airline, although it was BA and as they are hopeless I doubt they'd have known.

I flew with one of mine a week old and the other 10 days old, noone questioned us, there was just lots of cooing!

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 17-Sep-09 13:05:44

Oh yes, particularly in Italia where they love the bambini.

mumoverseas Fri 18-Sep-09 10:33:55

your HV is an idiot!
DCs 3 & 4 were both born in the middle east <waves at kreecher and wonders where in ME she is/was?>

the main issue is getting the passport. DD flew when she was about 3 months and DS2 now 7 months has flown 8 times already, the first time when he was about 7 weeks old. I've got friends who have returned to the Middle East with their babies when younger than that.

mumoverseas Fri 18-Sep-09 10:34:55

PS, make sure you have a bottle of milk/water with you handy for take off and landing as sometimes their ears hurt a little and if you can get them to drink and swallow that eases it a bit

MrsBadger Fri 18-Sep-09 10:52:33

or just stick them on the boob - but remember to position them for bf and then do the seatbelt extension up round them, else it's impossible to manouevre them on to feed without unbuckling.

Elk Fri 18-Sep-09 11:15:26

I thought it was ok once they were about a week old (or that's what I saw on Airline anyway) and have got a passport.

PestoLovelyMonster Fri 18-Sep-09 11:32:27

I thought you couldn't get insurance until you've both had your 6 week check-up.

Bucharest Fri 18-Sep-09 11:40:23

2 weeks I think, ppt permitting.
It's more to do with the mother's innards not dropping through her vagina due to change of pressure within the cabin......(or might be the babies ears....hmm, not much difference)
We first flew when dd was 8 weeks.

mumoverseas Fri 18-Sep-09 11:51:15

PMSL at Bucharest grin

Rebeccaj Fri 18-Sep-09 12:04:23

According to the NHS -
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/933.aspx?CategoryID=62&SubCategoryID=63

48 hours with a Drs note, but if you have a c-section, 10 days for you. 6 weeks is fine.

Rebeccaj Fri 18-Sep-09 12:05:33

According to the NHS -
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/933.aspx?CategoryID=62&SubCategoryID=63

48 hours with a Drs note, but if you have a c-section, 10 days for you. 6 weeks is fine.

Nefret Fri 18-Sep-09 20:48:30

I took my oldest when she was 8 weeks. I asked my hv and she said she wouldn't recommend taking before 6 weeks as their ears are very delicate and it can upset their sense of balance before then. I never bothered checking with the airline before we flew though.

He should be fine at 6 weeks, just make sure the had something to suck on during take off and landing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now