Talk

Advanced search

short break inspiration for December with 2 year old.

(9 Posts)
SandyChick Wed 16-Sep-09 09:40:41

Hello, I'm looking for ideas for somewhere to go in December. We want to take ds who will be 2 1/2 on a plane so there's nowhere in particular we want to go. We'd like to go somewhere 'wintery' rather than somewhere hot if that makes sense? We're really just looking for somewhere to spend some quality family time. DH is currently deployed so by December it'll be 4 month since we've seen him.

We had thought of new york but I think it would be a bit too much for DS.we'd struggle getting around with pushchair etc.

Don't have a budget as such but don't want to be spending a fortune. Just looking for a budget airline type of thing. Hotel wise - would be nice to have somewhere that caters for kids, has family rooms etc if anyone has any recommendations?

TIA.

Portofino Wed 16-Sep-09 09:53:29

One of the Xmas markets? There are lovely ones in Germany - Munich, Cologne etc, Holland, - Maastricht and Valkenburg, and Belgium - Brussels and Bruges. They always make me feel christmassy.

Also we did NY with a 3,5 yo. If you stay mid-town there is lots within walking distance and we got cabs rather than use the subway most of the time. We did Top of the Rock, Central Park, the Zoo, Museum of Natural History and Battery Park and the Circle Line ferry. 3 days was not enough.

SandyChick Wed 16-Sep-09 21:11:17

xmas markets - perfect! Cant beieve i hadnt thought of that.

Which ones have you been to? Any info you can give wil be gratefully received.

Just had a quick look at Brussels winter wonderland. It has a toddler ice rink which would be good. Some reviews said it was too busy and had to que for ages for everything.

dinkystinky Wed 16-Sep-09 21:14:31

Copenhagen- head to Tivoli (enormous amusement park in the centre with christmas lights nd rides). Went when DS1 was 2 years old and he loved it. Recommend staying nearby (is right in the centre) and picking up tickets in the morning - you can then just go straight in later in the day and bypass the enormous queues. Copenhagen is great - really family friendly and pretty.

Portofino Thu 17-Sep-09 08:51:43

I've been to the markets in Brussels, Bruges, Lille and Leuven.

Bruges market is small, but the town itself is gorgeous. Brussels market is huge, and with an ice rink, roundabouts, big wheel etc. It does get busy but it is very festive, and they do a light show in the Grand Place.

Lille is a good town for shopping and they have a big wheel too. We visited Leuven for the first time last year. Lots of very nice food, and a couple of roundabouts.

You could stay in Brussels for a few days and do 2 or 3 of the Belgian ones. I can recommend the Citadines on Place Ste Catherine - mini apartements so great for families - and it is right next to the market. Hey - I'll even come and have a vin chaud with you grin

Valkenburg and Maastricht are next on my list.

SandyChick Fri 18-Sep-09 10:48:32

Thank you so much for the info grin

I picked up a few brochures yesterday to have a flick through. We havent decided where yet, probably the place with the best timed flights for ds.

Is it best to just book your flight and accom indipendantly rather than through travel agent?

Can you recommend a hotel/accom in Bruges?

Portofino Fri 18-Sep-09 19:08:22

Loads of companies do organised trips to the markets though often by coach. Distances aren't huge so this may or may not suit you. I've always the trips myself and booked accommodation directly.

Portofino Fri 18-Sep-09 19:11:15

Ps I actually live in Belgium now. I can't remember where we stayed the 1st time but tripadvisor.com is a useful reference. Of have a look on booking.com.

Portofino Fri 18-Sep-09 19:11:17

Ps I actually live in Belgium now. I can't remember where we stayed the 1st time but tripadvisor.com is a useful reference. Of have a look on booking.com.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now