Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

very confused about under 2 travelling

(13 Posts)
loulabelle222 Sat 04-Jun-05 10:46:08

Hello i am travelling to cyprus for my cousins wedding in september (52 of us going) my ds will be 18m and i managed to get him a free child place so that he could have a seat on the plane and baggage allowance.
I understand that on take off and landing he will have to sit on either mine or dp's lap but does he have to be in a car seat during the flight?
I was very glad to get him a free child placei didn't really want to spend over £200 for him to have a child place but i know i wouldn't be able to handle him on my lap for 4 1/2 hours!

vickiyumyum Sat 04-Jun-05 10:48:54

from memory they don't have to be in a car seat for the journey, that is just for take off and landing if you don't put them on your lap. once you are in the air, he can just sit in his seat and enjoy the trip.
i would def recommend a seat for any age child as you don't get much room on an aeroplane any way letalone having a wriggling baby/toddler on your lap. we did it once and since thenhave always got a seat for the littleones.

LIZS Sat 04-Jun-05 10:54:06

May depend on the airline's regulations so do check, but we've travelled with ours on spare seats without a car seat.

loulabelle222 Sat 04-Jun-05 10:56:31

i'm going with british airways i'll check!

natts Sat 04-Jun-05 10:56:51

they give you an extended seat belt that will go aroun him and who ever holds him

Nemo1977 Sat 04-Jun-05 10:57:17

when we took ds to spain he had to be sitting on our knee for take off and landing or any seatbelt signs but not for the flight iykwim/

Blackduck Sat 04-Jun-05 10:59:52

Likewise...we managed to have a spare seat between us going out and back to Portugal with ds (three months...) He was on my lap for take off and landing and slept on the seat between us for the flight....!

natts Sat 04-Jun-05 11:00:08

once you taken off you can undo belt so he will not feel so restricted, but you or parner will have to try to keep him on you laps, what a pain i remember it well, take plenty of thing to occupy him.good luck

SoupDragon Sat 04-Jun-05 11:20:45

DSs have both had seats on planes at that age with no carseat so he'll be fine.

loulabelle222 Sat 04-Jun-05 11:44:33

can i take his buggy right up to the door of the plane

jura Sat 04-Jun-05 12:28:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Sat 04-Jun-05 12:30:56

Don't rely on getting it back immediately - sometimes they're delivered to baggage reclaim.

Cooperoo Sat 04-Jun-05 12:37:56

Hi. I fly with BA from Cyprus quite alot and you won't need a car seat for him. He will be fine on the seat after take off and before landing. I have always had my buggy right to the plane doors, but only ever got it back in baggage reclaim so I suggest a child carrier or hopefully a strong man to help you. (That is flying Larnaca/Heathrow and Paphos/Gatwick btw).
Good Luck and enjoy your trip. Sounds fab. Where is the weddding?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now