Talk

Advanced search

Driving from UK to Heidelberg

(7 Posts)
laraeo Sun 13-Sep-09 10:06:36

After a concerted effort on my part, I've finally convinced DH that we should go somewhere over Christmas. We're only going to be here for another 10 months or so and I don't think we've seen or done enough "stuff" wink. DH has just on driving to Heidelberg. It looks like from Calais it's about 6 hours but we'd like to break the trip up and spend a night somewhere - for DS's sake - he'll be 22 months. Any suggestions? The trip is in its early planning stages and I'm open to and and all suggestions grin.

movingnow Mon 14-Sep-09 17:26:39

Have a look at www.viamichelin.com to get an idea of where half way is and then work from there.

movingnow Mon 14-Sep-09 17:29:37

To be honest if you take the most direct route it is not exactly a scenic drive, more of an autobahn slog.

Portofino Tue 15-Sep-09 09:58:42

Valkenburg? Xmas markets are meant to be lovely. I keep meaning to go. Actually not on direct route. Luxembourg would be!

laraeo Fri 18-Sep-09 12:55:52

Sorry I haven't checked this in a few days. There's been a change of plans and now we're driving to Garmisch in southern Germany which means a longer drive - 9 hours - and I think we'll probaby wind up staying overnight in Metz which is bit under halfway there - according to google maps. I'll check out viamichelin too. Then we'll spend Christmas and a few extra days in Heidelberg before heading back home.

I'll check out Luxembourg for the returnn journey from Heidelberg to Calais - another stamp on DS's passport!

Badpups Sat 19-Sep-09 23:10:53

We travelled to the Chiemsee (similar distance to Garmisch?) when our twins were 4 months old and drove it in one stretch. We stopped every 1.5 - 2 hrs so they could lie flat and stretch and we had no ill effects from it.

I think it depends on how your DS travels. If he's used to long car journeys then travelling it in one day is definitely feasible.

lottysmum Sun 20-Sep-09 15:16:17

Hi

We did this journey many many moons ago and we stopped of at Luxembourg....in fact from memory petrol was allot cheaper in Luxembourg than anywhere else on our journey...

I liked Luxembourg ... definitely worth seeing...I loved Heidelberg...and it will be lovely in the winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now