Talk

Advanced search

Liquid, planes, plastic bags and panic!

(14 Posts)
elfinblast Fri 11-Sep-09 00:33:37

Sudden unexpected trip to the USofA. Last time I went I got on a plane and that was it.

I know I need a ziplock bag. I got a betterware catalogue in one today can I use that? (about A4 size)or do I need a "special" one?

Can I take liquids in my suitcase? I've got a skin problem and can only use certain products or I look like a giant rashy blotch. Can I take a normal bottle or do I have to faff with little bottles? What about liquid foundation, face cream and perfume?

All I really need to take in my carry on bag is some deodorant and maybe a little bottle of hand sanitiser Is that ok?

I have asthma and have a blue and a brown inhaler. I was told I should take a copy of my prescription in case.

I've only got a couple of days to arrange everything and keep getting conflicting advice.

Argh! help!

Drayford Fri 11-Sep-09 00:47:26

Its all here Take a copy of your prescription with you JIC.

Buy the snappy top bags at tesco or the like - last time I returned from the States I was quizzed about multi vitamin tablets in my hand luggage and questioned about why I had a pack of advil - so be prepared!

elfinblast Fri 11-Sep-09 00:54:46

Briiliant, thanks!

20x20 cm bag...that's the betterware bag out then!

elfinblast Fri 11-Sep-09 00:55:20

#briLLiant

HolyGuacamole Fri 11-Sep-09 01:00:05

Liquids carried in hand luggage need to be less than 100ml and put into a clear bag for going thru security and put in the little tray that goes thru the x ray machine with your bag, jacket, belt etc. I'm not sure about aerosols. The Betterware bag should be totally fine smile

Anything over 100ml will be taken from you unless it is in your suitcase. Creams, cosmetics etc all count as liquid.

Enjoy your trip envy

KristinaM Fri 11-Sep-09 01:05:05

if you don't have time to get your prescriptions, why don't you just pack your inhalers in the original box, the one that has the sticker with your name on it? you MUST take them on the plane with you, espeially your blue. more important than deodorant!!

yes you can take liquids, creams, toothpaste etc in your suitcase

the restriction is on liquids/creams/aerosols in your hand luggage, needs to be less than 100 mls

and in a seperate bag so they can be checked

thumbwitch Fri 11-Sep-09 01:05:16

they have the right size little baggies at the airport for you anyway if you don't have time to get some (or they do at HEathrow T4 anyway, we flew in August)

I put the little aerosol I had in the hold luggage to be on the safe side. If you are taking special creams etc you will have to check the bag in to go as hold luggage; any cabin luggage is restricted to a max of 100ml as said before.

elfinblast Fri 11-Sep-09 07:37:41

Thank you!

Now to pack!

janinlondon Fri 11-Sep-09 11:04:08

Our aerosol hand gel (under 100ml) was confiscated from our hand luggage last time we flew (July).

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 11-Sep-09 11:58:47

Aerosols will get confiscated if you go through security with one of these items in your hand luggage.

Anything like the above or creams etc need to be put in your suitcase (its all acceptable in there).

Keep any inhalers to hand and be prepared to show the security staff the prescription for same.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 11-Sep-09 12:00:38

elfin

Is this a business trip you're undertaking?. Regardless of that, have you completed the ESTA (electronic travel authorisation) yet?. This is mandatory for all visits to the US (unless you are an American or I believe a Canadian citizen).

oldraver Sun 13-Sep-09 22:47:13

Dont worry about your deoderant .. go and but some more at Boots in the airport after security. The 100ml liquid restriction is PER container not total allowance

Have to say the last couple times I have genuinley taken stuff through and they havn't noticed. I was quite shocked to find a drink in DS's bag. I had made sure we drank/got rid off all large containers. I also realised I had my perfume in my bag and it wasnt noticed. I'm not saying you should do it on purpose but have been astonished they miss stuff

BattyBum Mon 14-Sep-09 00:13:00

I flew once a month for the last two years and always take a mini aerosol deoderant, never confiscated, only the once I took a big one as I wondered if it really had to be mini as it wasn't liquid.

Any other toiletries put in your hold luggage, always a good idea to pack in a water proof toilet bag anyway incase of spillages.

There is usually a boots on the other side of security (airside) and they sell most things, I usually pick up a bottle of water from their as it is cheaper and they do a small size one, don't like the huge bottle of water.

You don't always have to lift out your polybag from hand luggage when going through security, this week one airport everyone did, returning no one did, not asked to.

They can be very strict about one bag only, I leave room in the top of my carry on case to shove my handbag in when require. I also have a flat tote bag for mags and water that fits in the front of my case and I slip it out on the plane so I can have my sweets, water, mags hankies etc to hand.

Prescriptions always best to have in original containers.

BattyBum Mon 14-Sep-09 00:14:06

Oh and I managed to smuggle through 2x 250ml cartons of juice by mistake, I mant to drink them on the bus and forgot I had them in my case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now