Advanced search

passport application - ILs as countersignatories?

(6 Posts)
Cies Thu 10-Sep-09 15:24:37

Reading the guidelines for my passport renewal it says that the person providing the countersignature must not be a member of my family.

But can it be a member of DH's family, i.e. my in-law?

I live abroad and am having a hard time thinking of anyone suitable to sign who has got sufficient "standing". (must say something about my friends!)

AMY678 Thu 10-Sep-09 15:31:22

your childs teacher or your doctor or a business owner?

RustyBear Thu 10-Sep-09 15:33:18

Sorry, they can't sign

From the UK passport site:

"Your countersignatory should:

have known you for at least two years
live in the UK
Your countersignatory should not:

be related to you by birth or marriage
be in a personal relationship with you
live at the same address as you
Your countersignatory should be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community. The list that follows gives examples of the type of person that would be suitable. If you are not sure who to ask you can call the IPS Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000.

airline pilot
articled clerk of a limited company
assurance agent of recognised company
bank/building society official
chairman/director of limited company
commissioner of oaths
councillor (local or county)
civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for IPS
director/manager of a VAT-registered charity
director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
engineer (with professional qualifications)
financial services intermediary (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker)
fire service official
funeral director
insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
Justice of the Peace
legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
licensee of public house
local government officer
manager/personnel officer (of a limited company)
member, associate or fellow of a professional body
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy officer
minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
nurse (RGN and RMN)
officer of the armed services (active or retired)
paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)
photographer (professional)
police officer
Post Office official
president/secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army officer
social worker
teacher, lecturer
trade union officer
travel agent (qualified)
valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers"

Cies Thu 10-Sep-09 15:38:48

Thanks for that. I'm going to have to go for my doctor I think, although she doesn't know me personally hmm

RustyBear Thu 10-Sep-09 15:44:13

It does say they have to live in the UK and have a UK passport, so would that be a problem as you're living abroad?

Cies Thu 10-Sep-09 15:45:45

No, on the notes I have from the consular service I can use a person of similar standing in my country of residence.

Now just have to get them to sign something official in English grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: