Talk

Advanced search

Savvy Travel Tips Wanted for US Internal Flights/Car Hire

(6 Posts)
Earlybird Thu 02-Jun-05 18:38:31

DD and I are due to fly to America mid July (international flights booked already direct with airline). Anyone have suggestions for how I can compare (and book) flight schedules/costs for internal flights and car hire?

For future reference, would also appreciate any suggestions for cheap transatlantic flights too please.

MeerkatsUnite Thu 02-Jun-05 19:29:51

Would suggest you book the internal flights online from the UK.

There is fierce competition price wise for internal flights within the US. Which route/s are you going to use?. I ask this as some US airports are used as hubs by some carriers.

Boarding domestic flights can become somewhat of an arduous process!. Plenty of time is needed!!.

Would also suggest you choose a UK based carrier over a US based one on flights to the US.

Earlybird Thu 02-Jun-05 19:43:09

Hi M.U. - thanks for feedback. We are currently due to fly into Atlanta with Delta. Also plan to be in Nashville, LA, Denver and Wyoming (going to a dude ranch!). Any suggestions for where I should look online for flights/schedules?

MeerkatsUnite Fri 03-Jun-05 07:16:23

My suggestion would be to look at the individual website for the airports in question. This shows the terminals and all the airlines that operate out of there. You may be able to find one carrier that operates to all the destinations you are thinking of, if this is the case so much the better. As for Wyoming you may need to fly to one destination and change planes to arrive at the destination in that state. Plan your route carefully; it can cost a small fortune to fly into one US city and then return to the UK from another. Also single fares can cost more than returns.

The dude ranch, infact the whole trip sounds like great fun!!.

Earlybird Fri 03-Jun-05 07:55:22

Thanks for that MU. Even though this trip is going to be fantastic fun, it will be very challenging to arrange the internal US travel without it costing the earth.

Will check out the websites of the individual airports. Have you tried anything like Expedia? If so, what has been your experience?

Wyoming (dude ranch!) will definitely be the most challenging place to get to. We're going with dear friends who try to take one "wilderness" holiday per year. This pal has a "3 flight" rule - meaning you're not really in the wilderness unless it takes 3 flights to get there from a major city!

alux Fri 03-Jun-05 08:28:41

maybe this is unnecessary advice: always buy insurance for a rental car.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: