Talk

Advanced search

Would it be complete madness to take my 4 year old daughter to Newzeland on my own?

(3 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Mon 07-Sep-09 19:13:05

She is four and a half and very active and friendly. My Mum has asked us to come to NZ, but my husband can't go due to work.
I'm not sure how she or I would cope with a 24 hour flight. Has anyone else done it on there own before?
I'd be really greatful for any advice. smile

mellifluouscauliflower Mon 07-Sep-09 21:49:38

We took my son to New Zealand when he was 3 3/4. I was really dreading the 24 hour flight but I figured it couldn't actually be worse than childbirth & I survived that!

But actually it was completely fine.

We went Air New Zealand straight through, with an hour or so's stop in Hong Kong (which has a small child's running around facility plus showers). My son does like planes, eating and TV which really helped. The seats on the plane were bigger than average and they had a little packs for all the kids. The kids' food wasn't much good - he much preferred eating mine.

We brought a small case with toys, sticker books, DVD player, cars, colouring pens, snakes and ladders, ipod with audio books etc. We went for little walks around the plane and made some friends.

We only had one minor melt-down, after which he promptly fell asleep for the next 9 hours.

I would take PJ's and a pillow so they know when it's bedtime. I also forgot a change of clothes - not o great when he slops noodles down his front in Terminal 3 before we even left!

He really really enjoyed New Zealand. And it is a memory that will last forever.

mummyloveslucy Tue 08-Sep-09 19:25:37

Thank you, it dosn't sound too bad then. The best thing is to be prepared. Thanks for the tips. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now