Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ok port douglas queensland august what precortions [giggle!]

(14 Posts)
almostanangel Thu 02-Jun-05 11:21:01

ok first trip to oz [first trip anywhere} what would you suggest in the way of ..............bugspray/sunlotion/wellies cos of snakes/full lenghth overalls for spiders[well because of spiders] dont know where you get overalls with 8 legs...koala nets.crocodile pokers etc ........................................sriously is the sprays lotions better in oz? so buy em there? thanks ..gooday

eidsvold Thu 02-Jun-05 11:51:08

I would buy the sunscreen here - ( ours is a roll on - easy to apply) if you have little ones you can buy one called ego sunsense - 30+ SPF and low/non allergenic. Only one we use with our almost 3yo and 7month old.

I bought insect repellant at Heathrow ( we were heading to Singapore and I forgot to get some) came in a stick and marked that it was okay for children. Used that for then 2yo - easy to roll on. Although again you can buy that here.

You are staying in Port Douglas - in a resort I assume - is winter to not redback season and snakes etc should not be a worry either. Just watch signs regarding croc haunts - don't be like the tourists my friend and I saw last time I went to visit her. Huge warning sign telling about the presence of estuarine crocs in these rivers no wading etc - and here were a group of tourists having a swim/washing clothes etc.

Not even stinger season - so no need to wear pantyhose on your head/arms etc.....

Just lay back enjoy the fab beach - think of us down in Brissy chilled to the bone whilst you enjoy what should be warmish dry weather.....

almostanangel Thu 02-Jun-05 12:28:44

thanks hun ..lol re croc..im not even going near the signs let alone the crocs ..lol thanks for the hints on suncream .ok wellies out of suitcase then ..

almostanangel Thu 02-Jun-05 12:30:31

not in resort private villa ..with plunge pool !! yes yes yes!!finally a real holiday

eidsvold Fri 03-Jun-05 09:19:28

well that sounds fab - take those wellies out and buy yourself some new shoes when you get here!!! Exchange rate is great at the moment if exchanging from pounds to dollars.

almostanangel Fri 03-Jun-05 09:38:31

yes i know!..am getting bit nrvous now re flight but ..whhhhhooooo!! someone said to help jetlag,,,set you r watch to the time of the place you are going what do you think?

koalabear Fri 03-Jun-05 09:43:27

only suggestion is that bug deterent in oz better (stronger) than bug deterent in UK (based on fact that, well, lets face it, the bugs in the UK are FRIENDLY)

so I would buy bug stuff in Oz - I would get Aeroguard Spray for adults, and Aeroguard Sensitive Roll On (which you roll on like a deodorant and then rub in with hand) for little ones

this stuff is usually sold in supermarkets and chemists, and often also your local corner store (it's that popular)

in respect of sunscreen, yes, at long as its 30+, and also, make sure everybody wheres a hat outside at all times - the sun is much much stronger in Oz and you will burn much much quicker

am jealous - have a great time

koalabear Fri 03-Jun-05 09:44:16

wheres = wears

koalabear Fri 03-Jun-05 09:46:30

and make sure you read signs regarding to swimming in ocean - i don't think it is stinger season, but make sure

also, a tip for the unintiated, in Oz they have beach life savers that will petrol beaches between the red flags - so, only swim between the red flags

eidsvold Fri 03-Jun-05 12:42:50

depends what time you arrive - we have felt that you just do your normal day and try to go to bed a little earlier. Drink lots of water on the plane to keep hydrated - stay away from the alcohol - being dehydrated also makes jet lag worse. We usually arrived in Brisbane early morning so we would do a normal day and try to go to bed a little earlier than usual for a few nights and find it is okay. It will take a couple of days to get sorted - we were lucky as we had a stop over in SIngapore when we emigrated out here and so took a couple of days to recover and then were fine when we got to Aus.

I always turn my watch to whatever time it is in Aus/UK when I board the plane.

Koala bear is right - even wintersun of August is much harsher than the UK sun.

The flags are usually red and yellow and koala is right - swim between them as that will be the safest place on the beach to swim. Am sure stinger season is more Sept/Oct from memory but just check I could be wrong. this looks like your closest beach

here

almostanangel Fri 03-Jun-05 13:31:55

thanks all!! hay E..that link frangipani is where we are staying ,,creepy you linked onto it lol

almostanangel Fri 03-Jun-05 13:37:16

will arrive in cairns about 8am.

eidsvold Fri 03-Jun-05 22:57:33

so I would jsut do a normal day and then try to get to bed a little earlier than normal...( probably do it for a couple of days) if you wake in the wee hours of the morning ( due to jet lag - don't get up - try and sleep some more.

almostanangel Sat 04-Jun-05 13:26:16

thanks hun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now