Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nicest Family Barbados please anyone recommend?

(7 Posts)
boneybones Fri 04-Sep-09 21:19:15

anyone recommend one thats child friendly and lots to do for a 5 yr old?

ChocOrange05 Sat 05-Sep-09 14:51:40

The Crane on the East coast is lovely, it has about 9 pools, although there's not too much else nearby we usually have a couple of days here at the end of the holiday just to relax.

spacecadet1 Sat 05-Sep-09 22:22:54

I've been to Barbados with a 3 year old (just back last week & also went when he was 20 months) & don't think there are many hotels with loads to do for young kids. The Almond Beach Village near Speightstown (north of the island) seems to be the hotel with most on offer for kids (see almond resorts website) or Turtle Beach on the south coast which has a kids club. Haven't stayed at either (stayed at Crystal Cove & Colony Club which you can visit if you stay at Turtle Beach) co can't recommend them but don't recall any other hotels with lots to do with youngsters. That said, depends what your little one likes doing. My son just loved playing in the pool & on the beach so if yours would be content with that, then any hotel would do.

Sorry probably not much help but if you've any other Barbados questions just shout up!

boneybones Sun 06-Sep-09 09:08:58

thanks for this I was more thinking is there a sep kids pool, playground etc... not a honeymoon/adults hotel.

I will look at Crystal Cove now....also wanted AI option

spacecadet1 Sun 06-Sep-09 10:25:30

In all honesty I didn't like Crystal Cove very much. We went just before easter 2008 & as the hotel was nowhere near fully occupied, there weren't many staff working so the service was really slow & the food quality was pretty poor (compared to other Caribbean AI resorts). Most of the staff were lovely, the setting lovely (but not much to do around the area) & they did have a very quiet kids club but I certainly wouldn't recommend Crystal Cove to people (although I know people will have different experiences). I've heard Mango Bays supposed to be a nice AI hotel. Have you ever looked on Tripadvisor to read hotel reviews? It's a good way to get an insight into places (although sometimes to be taken with a pinch of salt). Also (don't know if you've been to Barbados before) the AI resorts tend not to be brilliant (food wise anyway) because Barbados has so many excellent restaurants & most people tend to eat out. Just a point possibly worth noting when you decide where to stay.

The only hotel I know of with a kids playground (someone else might know better) is the Coral Reef hotel which is supposed to be lovely but don't think it's AI & kids aren't allowed at certain times of the year & it looked quite exclusive!!!

Do you have any idea where you'd like to be 'cos the water on the south coast tends to be bit rougher than the west coast & the south coast has a bit more of a party atmosphere (people partying at the gap) with the west coast being quieter at night (but still with nice restaurants). Like Choc Orange said, although the Crane is nice, it's quite a long way from anything else & there seems to be a lot of construction work going on at the moment.

Sorry to waffle!!!

MollieO Sun 06-Sep-09 10:34:15

When we go we rent a villa. Royal Westmoreland have nice ones and you get your own pool. Lots to do on the island for children. I would run a mile from Almond Beach as it seems a bit like a holiday camp imo.

MollieO Sun 06-Sep-09 10:42:31

I would stay on the West Coast unless you like the 'lively' South Coast. Used to be nice there about 20 years ago but now is a cheap place to stay and has accommmodation and restaurants to match [snob emoticon!]. I also think the beaches are better for children on the West Coast. The more exclusive restaurants are on the West Coast too. Very child friendly both lunch and dinner (although some have an early dinner restriction for children). Having said that I've taken ds to The Tides (my fav restaurant) in the evening and still been there at 9pm and he was 4 at the time. Lonestar and Mullins Beach Bar are the same - lovely restaurants and child friendly.

The Crane is lovely but the beach is not a swimming beach and not suitable for children to paddle in the sea. Lovely to walk along and look at though - fab pink sand. The Crane is a bit isolated though so you have to have a car to get anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now