Talk

Advanced search

HELP ME FIND DS2 CAR SEAT

(14 Posts)
ilovesprouts Fri 04-Sep-09 17:44:52

hi my ds2 starts a sn school next week ,he gets took to school but i have to pick him up what car seat would i need he is 3 in dec need help advice asap as starts school on monday

LackaDAISYcal Fri 04-Sep-09 17:53:12

It depends pretty much on what sort of car he will be getting transported in ilovesprouts. does his SN mean that he needs a special SN car seat?

Britax are generally a good all rounder and they have a fit finder where you input age/weight of the child and the make and model of car.

If he is being picked up will it be the same vehicle and will the seat need to fit that as well? or just the car you are picking him up in?

I have a Britax evolva for my DD who is 2.5 and it will do her until she is 11.

Jojay Fri 04-Sep-09 18:02:23

At his age I'd try to avoid a group 1 seat as he won't be in it for long, and go for a group 1-2-3.

These come with a 5 point harness, which he will need till he's about 4, then it comes off to convert into a high back booster seat, to use with an adult seatbelt. That will last him till he's 11 ish.

The Britax Evolva that Lacky mentioned is excellent but there are other cheaper ones on the market if money is tight.

The Evolva reclines, but most others don't, so worth bearing in mind.

ilovesprouts Fri 04-Sep-09 18:08:28

sn=speacail needs school he will be getting picked up in the school bus, but my dad is going to bring him back home in his car hes got a ford type car

ilovesprouts Fri 04-Sep-09 18:10:38

yes money it tight at the mo blush if i had the cash i would not care about the price can any one do me a link to some as i dont know where to start

LackaDAISYcal Fri 04-Sep-09 18:26:02

kiddicare

mothercare

halfords

mothercare and halfords will check the fit for you as well. Kiddicare sometimes have the seats cheaper though, so you can get it checked at mothercare or halfords and then buy online smile

LackaDAISYcal Fri 04-Sep-09 18:28:56

this one from toys r us is half price at the minute

if you do a search for car seats and "Which" there are threads which have the Which safety report on them so you can check how safe the seat is as well.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 04-Sep-09 18:31:44

and meant to say you want one that has a harness (as I think they need to be in a harness until 18kg or around four years), but that can be changed to just using the adult seatbelt once he is heavier

ilovesprouts Fri 04-Sep-09 22:29:33

oh ive just got one off ebay the seat belt just goes round it is that no good then

kitkatqueen Fri 04-Sep-09 22:47:53

No, not good at his age/weight. Really needs to have an integral harness.

Have a look at the free video on the which website to see what happens to children in carseats in accidents.

Toys r us have a sale on as do halfords.

Have a look at the britax website and type your dads model of car into the fit finder.

nicm Fri 04-Sep-09 23:06:59

what weight is your ds? car seats go by weight not age as much, these are only guidelines! is he big or small for his age?

ilovesprouts Sat 05-Sep-09 07:15:36

hes thin but long iyswim

nicm Sat 05-Sep-09 11:33:21

do you know what weight he is? my car seat has a 5 point harness and goes up to 25kgs, so should last ds until he's about 6 yo. it's the britax 2 way elite. look on the website www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk it's under special needs seats.

ilovesprouts Sat 05-Sep-09 14:53:37

hi ive found one now,thanks for all your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now