Talk

Advanced search

Villa in Mainland Spain - which resort? area?

(15 Posts)
100namechanges Fri 04-Sep-09 10:36:22

We're looking to do a big family holiday next year, whole family (GP's, SIL etc)staying in a villa.

We've realised that mainland Spain is cheaper than the islands but I have no idea of any resorts.

Any ideas please?

We want restaurants and bars but not mad nightclubs and idiots!

(will have 6yr, 3yr, 12yr, 15yr with us!)

wotzyRegisteredTM Sat 05-Sep-09 17:40:33

Look somewhere in the Alicante Province like Calpe, Orba
Holiday lettings

[[http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/calpe/26877 sleep 10 (5 bedrooms) Villa with pool.

Nothing to do with me. Never been.

wotzyRegisteredTM Sat 05-Sep-09 17:41:15

sleep 10 (5 bedrooms) Villa with pool 2km from Calpe’s main beach

link again

wotzyRegisteredTM Sat 05-Sep-09 18:15:32

Here is another thread about that area Calpe

Julesnobrain Sat 05-Sep-09 23:15:36

Try Javea, Costa Blanca. Much prettier than Calpe. Popular resort for families, 1 hour from Alicante, lovely sandy beaches, nice old town and port. Has lots of restaurants and bars on or near the beach. Doesn't have lots of clubs, single sex groups etc. For accommodation try www.holiday-rentals.co.uk or www.ownersdirect.com. We go most years for a spring break with the kids.

wotzyRegisteredTM Sun 06-Sep-09 10:24:01

I think Javea has become increasing popular, and have been visiting for the last 15 years myself. I have not been to Calpe but have heard good things, so can't compare from personal experience. I would have said Javea or Denia, but not so sure anymore, I haven't enjoyed my last visits which were in peak August time.

Javea is pleasant and quite in low season like April for the spring break, that I would agree on, so it depends on when you intend to go. I think Javea is nice for a day visit but the cost of holiday/rental villas have become increasing overpriced in the area especially if you are going in August. In August the beach at Javea is overcrowded and full. Not nice at all.

When I say never been - I mean to Calpe or in the villas I linked to. If you do a search on MN for the places Javea, Caple, Orba, Denia, you will find lots of views ad options.

GrinnyPig Sun 06-Sep-09 10:28:37

Nerja is quite a big resort but does attract mainly families. We have stayed near Frigliana a couple of times and drive into Nerja for shopping, eating out and the beach.

RupertTheBear Sun 06-Sep-09 10:29:00

Oh yes Javea. It is beautiful and not built up or too touristy. We went in July and didn't find it too crowded at all. We also find the villas quite competitively priced, possibly because there are so many in the area.

Chocolateteapot Sun 06-Sep-09 15:44:38

My FIL lives in Javea and was over here to visit us last month. He said that it is a nightmare at the moment as there are loads of road works and traffic lights everywhere plus they are about to start doing the sewerage system soon. From what he was saying it sounded best to avoid it at the moment.

Ruthiebabes Sun 06-Sep-09 19:30:56

Nerja is a good option, had a lovely time there a few years ago.

Ponders Sun 06-Sep-09 19:39:51

5 beds, sleeps 14, £1000pw high season near Alicante

holiday-rentals is a great site & very user-friendly smile

Ponders Sun 06-Sep-09 19:40:55

oh, missed what you said about restaurants & bars (although it does say you can walk to the village)

Ponders Sun 06-Sep-09 19:52:33

5 beds, sleeps 12, £1100 high season in Alhaurin de la Torre - have been there, it's a nice town, not a tourist place. It says 20 mins walk to restaurants etc.

Fly to Malaga, which seems to have the most flights in Spain, & loads of cheap car hire eg malagacar.com - although I notice they're not as cheap as they used to be, but I've read recently that the hire companies in Spain have cut down on the number of cars they buy.

Anyway this company picks you up at the terminal & takes you to their compound about 2 mins drive away, which is way easier than queuing in the terminal, then finding your car in the multi-storey, then finding your way out of the multi-storey along with all the other new arrivals & all the car-hirer employees bringing more cars in! (The wording on the website suggests otherwise, but it said that when we hired from them too, & in fact they took us to & from their own building)

Ponders Sun 06-Sep-09 19:58:55

another in Alhaurin de la Torre

Dunno why they're pushing Torremolinos really - except that it's the closest beach. In fact the beach there is fine, & the town centre's OK, but the waterfront is classic 60s high-rise, not very lovely grin

Ponders Sun 06-Sep-09 20:11:07

And finally (will leave you alone now! grin) there is this one in Caleta approx midway between Malaga & Nerja, looks like a nice location.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now