Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used the Baby B'Air Turbulence Protection Vest?

(11 Posts)
oscarsmum Tue 31-May-05 22:39:25

We're flying to Cyprus, c.4 hour flight I think, and dd is bound to be a nightmare as she's just starting to cruise and so won't want to sit still. Has anyone used the Baby B'Air Turbulence Protection Vest, (I see from a previous thread that NotQuiteCockney has one), and do you think it would make dd less likely to wriggle? Also, would the airline accept it?

It's very expensive so I wouldn't want to buy it and then find it wasn't any better than the usual lap belt provided.

Thanks

janinlondon Wed 01-Jun-05 12:06:56

As I understand it, aircraft registered in the UK will only allow you to use the additional belt that you join onto your own lap belt. I'd love to be corrected on this though!

starlover Wed 01-Jun-05 12:15:14

the baby b'air DOES attach to the parents lap belt. It isn't for the child to use in their own seat.

LottieG Wed 01-Jun-05 12:42:08

Am also very interested in this thread as we're hoping to fly to South Africa in October and I've read that some airlines don't even give babies the additional belt.

Anyone know any more??

janinlondon Wed 01-Jun-05 14:00:20

We tried to use a similar product (attaching to the parent's belt as a Baby B'Air does) on a flight to Europe and were told we couldn't - had to use the airline supplied extension belt. The aircraft was UK registered so had to go by UK regs. I know the rules are different for US registered aircraft, and probably for other countries too. The FAA has fairly clear guidelines, but it will depend on your airline I think.

Chuffed Wed 01-Jun-05 15:00:48

United wouldn't let us use anything, BA, BMI, Singapore, Austrian, Virgin, have all provided a lap belt. Didn't have anything else to use. Our friends used something similar on their trip from NZ to Argentina and New Caledonia.

oscarsmum Fri 03-Jun-05 18:02:38

Thanks everyone, given the price (& that'll we'll probably only use it on this holiday) and the fact that the airline may not accept it I don't think I will buy one but I'll try to remember to ask the airline if they would accept it. Not sure who we're flying with as it's a package holiday and the tickets only come next week

deegward Fri 03-Jun-05 18:20:07

When are you going? We fly out on the 24th to Protaris, have two ds (5 & 2), last year ds2 (1.5) was a nightmare as did not sleep or anything, prob same stage as your dd as he only crawled. Just think of it like childbirth, crap but the end result worth it!

NotQuiteCockney Sat 04-Jun-05 16:18:28

We have one, but we've not used it that much - even though it's probably safer than those funny single belts you attach to yours, that the airline provides, you can't use the Baby B'air vest in place of it.

It's a bit warm for use on a plane, I'd say, anyway.

We've used it as a car seat replacement for short trips, and been pretty happy with it, though - we don't tend to drive on holiday, so don't have a car seat. This feels safer than just holding your kids in a car, although I'm sure it's nowhere near as good as a car seat, obviously.

oscarsmum Fri 10-Jun-05 22:24:04

We fly to Protaras (well, Larnaca) on June 22nd, deegward! And thanks for your comments, NQC, about it being too hot for the flight, as they vindicate my deciding not to buy it in the end.

Gem13 Fri 10-Jun-05 22:29:10

If you are concerned about your DD's safety during the flight the best thing to do is buy her a seat and take your car seat on board.

I read a lot of old threads on here about this before a flight to the US (no lap belts) and took one on for DS (2.3) and bought one for DD (10m).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: