Talk

Advanced search

car seat on plane?

(7 Posts)
inzidoodle Tue 01-Sep-09 15:32:30

Hi, I am sure its been asked before but...

we are taking my DD to Tenerife in November she will have just turned 2 so has her own seat on the plane. We thought it would be safer for her to sit in her car seat on the flight (and the fact she just did a 10hour car journey in it and was great)

My question is, is it a good idea or more hassle than its worth?

We decided if we had the seat we would get a taxi (10minutes from resort) rather than waiting on the coach and doing the drop everyone else of thing before we get to our hotel...so its not a huge neccessity to have it on hols.....but think DD would be happier and safer on flight??

inzidoodle Tue 01-Sep-09 17:16:30

anyone?

Feierabend Tue 01-Sep-09 20:05:39

I wouldn't bother tbh. You'll have enough stuff to carry around with you as it is. We've just been on a short flight with DD1 (2.5) and she wanted to jump around on the seat / walk up and down the aisle anyway. For when she needs to be strapped in, just take lots of toys and raisins to keep her entertained.

drinkyourmilk Tue 01-Sep-09 20:10:28

i think you need an approved car seat for planes? But could be wrong. Check with airline?

fwiw i would use a car seat if it was a viable option - not just for safety but for ease - like you said i find littlies sit in a car seat much better and for longer than a normal seat designed for adults.

SwissCheese Tue 01-Sep-09 20:25:53

Hi

I took DS on the plane on several occaisions with his car seat. It was a lighter one, and DH and I managed fine as we looped one of the 'shoulder' belt and used it a bit like a back pack of one shoulder.

It was fab once on the plane. as DS stayed put and was very happy in his own seat.

Fastening to the seat using lap belt: The trick being make sure you twist the seatbelt so it unclips your direction or when you tighten it, you won't get your fingers underneath to release it.

We took ours after experiencing some nightmares / dreadful car seats c/o car hire companies. Swore blind never again.

Hope that helps.

SwissCheese Tue 01-Sep-09 20:27:13

NB:

Check your airline website for car seat details. I don't recall there being a specific type allowed.

inzidoodle Wed 02-Sep-09 09:17:57

Thanks for that. I will check its allowed, its sounds like it will be easier with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now