Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone hire out (or can recommend) a holiday villa or apartment that does NOT require us to have a car or rent one to stay there????

(13 Posts)
IlanaK Mon 31-Aug-09 15:56:55

I am looking at holidays and would love to go somewhere that is recommended on mumsnet. I would consider anywhere But I don't want to hire a car and don't have my own!

Thanks!

Habbibu Mon 31-Aug-09 16:00:43

I don't know of anywhere in particular, but we were thinking we might try Palma, Majorca for the same reason - airport public transportable, lovely town, by all accounts, and beach handy.

IlanaK Mon 31-Aug-09 16:06:57

Thanks for that. Do you know if any of the cheapy airlines fly there?

Portofino Mon 31-Aug-09 16:57:23

We stayed in Antibes without a car. Beaches there and in Juan Les Pins without walking distance, and a cheap taxi ride from Nice airport. Also it is easy to get to the Station and access the whole coast. Also stayed in Villefrance sur Mer and on the Italian riviera without a car. The train line runs right along the coast.

IlanaK Mon 31-Aug-09 16:58:43

Excellent! I will look into those places!

Keep it coming!

Portofino Mon 31-Aug-09 17:38:26

Loano is very nice and very Italian. Good beach. Cheap flights to Nice or Genoa

kwaker5 Tue 01-Sep-09 09:23:51

We managed in Port de Soller and Palma in Mallorca without a car. Just got a taxi to the apartment from the airport. Easyjet fly to Palma.

Depends a bit on what sort of break you want (beach/city) and how you feel about spending most of your time in one resort (although buses in Mallorca are very good).

badgermonkey Tue 01-Sep-09 09:29:06

Ibiza town is easy to get to from the airport and it's easy to get around Ibiza on buses. It's a bit of a walk or a five minute bus/taxi ride to Playa d'en Bossa, which is a beachy resort, or you can get the buses to San Antonio or the bus or water taxi to Cala Llonga or Santa Eulalia.

notevenamousie Tue 01-Sep-09 09:31:47

The whole of the Eastern French Riviera has a brilliant train and bus system. We went to Menton, flew to Nice.

slug Tue 01-Sep-09 09:32:50

We spent a happy two weeks in Split in Croatia. The apartment was inthe pedestrianised part of the old town so, mopeds aside, it was impossible to have a car anyway. There was a sandy, shallow beach 10 minutes walk away and Split a port so we spent many days island hopping. We did a couple of trips out, using either the local busses, or an organised tour.

We did the same thing in Pula, further up north in Croatia. We managed day trips by train and even a whole day in Venice via a hydrofoil.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 01-Sep-09 09:33:50

Another vote for french riviera. The public transport there really is ace. We stayed in Nice and managed to explore up and down the coast really easily using public transport. It is cheap, clean, and efficient.

wotzy Tue 01-Sep-09 09:46:32

If you go to somewhere like Corfu you can hire a small boat instead and cruise and down the coast..lovely. Or course public transport too, big on Air con buses etc in Greece and of course ferries.

wotzy Tue 01-Sep-09 09:47:24

Well that last sentence made no sense = more coffee needed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now