Talk

Advanced search

To take a pushchair on holiday or not?

(18 Posts)
MiniMarmite Wed 26-Aug-09 21:51:41

DH, DS (1 year) and I are going on holiday in the UK in a few weeks time. We're planning on walking along the beach and around towns etc. perhaps stopping for lunch here and there.

We've got a great baby backpack so were thinking of leaving the pushchair at home...

I can't really foresee any issues but have I missed something?

TIA smile

SilverSixpence Wed 26-Aug-09 23:49:10

I would say take the pushchair - 1 is quite heavy for a backpack even if you share the carrying, and a pushchair is great for dumping all your bits and bobs so you don't get weighed down.

MiniMarmite Thu 27-Aug-09 09:25:31

Agree re bits and bobs!

DH is pretty adamant about not taking it but I guess I'm so used to mainly using the pushchair I'm not sure how I will cope without it! Feels a bit like living an appendage behind!

ExtraFancy Thu 27-Aug-09 09:27:58

If you can fit it in the car/on the train - take it! We went to Wales when DS was 1, and he spent a lot of time in his carrier, but pushchair was great for naps/feeding him when there was no highchair available (eg picnics).

dinkystinky Thu 27-Aug-09 09:29:34

definitely take pushchair - we backpack/sling-ed ds1 lots but there were times he wanted to nap and we wanted to eat out/chill and just didnt happen with backpack (only carnapped in it).

dinkystinky Thu 27-Aug-09 09:31:01

also backpack poos... shudder remembering those! You may need to clean backpack as a result - we often did - and then you're a bit stufed with no back up.

MiniMarmite Thu 27-Aug-09 13:04:21

Backpack poos shock...definitely hadn't foreseen those!

mumoverseas Thu 27-Aug-09 17:10:42

take the pushchair.
If DH isn't keen on taking it well let him wear the backpack all the time and also carry all the bags you would have otherwise hung on the pushchair wink

BertieBotts Thu 27-Aug-09 21:09:40

Have you got a lightweight pushchair? We have just bought one for our holiday as DS is 11 months. We have got a sling but I thought sleeping would be better in a pushchair! You can usually get secondhand lightweight buggies (chicco etc) really cheaply if you don't have one already. Look on ebay for closest auctions to you.

thirtypence Thu 27-Aug-09 21:11:17

I have been on holidays and only taken a sling and hip seat. But if I had to choose between a pushchair and a backpack I would choose the pushchair.

DunderMifflin Thu 27-Aug-09 21:13:06

If you want to stop for lunch, I'd say you'd need a pushchair but I have no experience of backpacks so you may know better!

shoshe Thu 27-Aug-09 21:29:43

You need one of these

MiniMarmite Fri 28-Aug-09 09:40:02

Shoshe - cool, I probably do...not sure DH will agree as we've only just bought the backpack!

Bertie, we don't have a lightweight pushchair at the moment but I think we might need to get one to keep in the back of the car.

DS doesn't really sleep in the pushchair and we'll probably only stop for lunch where there's a highchair or have a picnic on the beach...still not feeling to comfortable about not having the pushchair.

Perhaps I need to let DH decide (and carry everything as suggested)...and then blame him when it is a complete nightmare wink

MmeLindt Fri 28-Aug-09 09:43:14

Are you flying or going by car?

We bought a cheap light pushchair on holiday in Amsterdam once as we were fed up carting DD around. You could nip to Mothercare or Toysrus and pick one up if you do feel you need one.

MiniMarmite Fri 28-Aug-09 09:47:30

We're going by car and a bit limited on space as we need to take travel cot, bedding, DH's shoe collection grin etc. My Mum is joining us halfway through so I guess I could ask her to bring a cheap one with her if we found ourselves in pushchair crisis!

MmeLindt Fri 28-Aug-09 10:07:25

We had a buggy that was very small when folded. They really don't take up much space.

Do you visit your mum often? Would it be worth her picking up a cheap buggy or a second hand one and keeping it there? We were using a buggy until the DC were 2.5 - 3yo for longer walks.

MiniMarmite Fri 28-Aug-09 20:33:06

Thanks All

DH has agreed to buy a cheap fold up buggy to keep in the car grin

Most of them seem to be for up to 15 kilos - DS is 12 already at only just one year...off to look at buggy reviews!

thirtypence Sat 29-Aug-09 08:55:04

You can cram them in for a lot longer than that if the school gates near me are anything to go by!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now