Talk

Advanced search

Gran Canaria - Puerto Mogan or Masapalomas - anyone been and is it chavvy?

(12 Posts)
seshi Mon 24-Aug-09 15:58:40

really need some sunshine and long awaited break with DH, without DS so we are thinking of Gran Canaria in Nov (as we want sunshine and don't want to fly very far)
Anyone been to Puerto Mogan or Masapolamas? We have seen some accomodation there by a resort company called Cordial Green Golf and Cordial Mogan valle that look nice. Anyone been ????

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 16:02:35

have been to Puerto Mogan, but not Maspalomas

PM is no way chavvy

it is quiet, picturesque and gorgeous

built over a river, so called "little Venice"

lots of authentic restaurants, little bridges, narrow streets etc

lovely harbour and decent beach, just a few shops

no chavs, although is popular with daytrips from other parts of the island, but queit when they have gone smile

don't know that specific accomodation, but everything i have stayed in at GC has been fab

seshi Mon 24-Aug-09 16:04:37

Thanks that is great to know. It does look lovely in the pics but a few people who I have spoken to were a bit dismissive about the Canaries. But I thought it looked nice!

I think I will go for it !

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 16:06:01

parts of the Canaries are deserving of being dismissed

but not Puerto Mogan

I am very envy

overthemill Mon 24-Aug-09 16:07:28

we went to gran canaria in novemebr and weather was great. we had a good time. not at this resort but generally found it nice, quiet and childfriendly. suspect entire place could be 'chavvy' in height of season!

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 16:10:33

nooooo, I disagree, not the entire place

mosschops30 Mon 24-Aug-09 16:15:15

Puerto Mogan is beautiful, would defffo pick there over maspalomas, which is closer to Playa del Ingles and might be slightly more chavvy and rowdy depending on when youre going

seshi Mon 24-Aug-09 16:17:12

think I am too old and knackered to be rowdy. just want somewhere pretty, with nice places to sit and have a beer and some nice food for a week. Thanks this has been v.helpful!

boneybones Tue 25-Aug-09 20:33:45

Mogan is lovely very pretty, we went on a boat trip one day from Pueto Rico in GC...this wa very chavvy but we were single, we were young so suited us to a tee!!!

Maspalomas again is lovely, beautiful sand dune beaches, very good quality hotels....Its near to Playa de Ingles which is awfully chavvy, very dirty place.

Out of the two it depends what you want ....Mogan is beautiful, very small, quiet, lovely harbour restuarants, not much happening, hotels will be the same. Maspolomas the hotels are larger prob AI and near the gorgeous sand dune beaches...I would of thought more going on around and in hotel.

Have you looked at the Yazia Princess in Lanzarote??

tulip27 Wed 26-Aug-09 20:36:09

I went to Mogan with a friend in May, place was beautiful, most people only spoke Spanish or German, no noise, very small quiet bars. It was bliss .

MummyDragon Wed 26-Aug-09 20:44:32

I agree with boneybones - Maspalomas has a beautiful beach (with camels!) and is not chavvy at all, but Playa de Ingles is v.v.v.chavvy, avoid it like the plague.

We spent a week in Maspalomas and it was lovely. I would go back there.

Mogan sounds lovely - might try it next time!

All the Canaries have a Linekers Bar - find out which town it is in, and avoid like the plague (I enjoyed it in my twenties when I didn't have children, but not any more!).

Squishabelle Wed 26-Aug-09 20:52:47

Been to both - Mogan wins by a mile. Fantastic place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now