Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone own a holiday home? Especially interested in static caravans.

(22 Posts)
Sparkler Mon 24-Aug-09 15:05:53

I would love one but they are so flippin' expensive. I've been googling this morning and my dreams are slowly being shattered by the cost of the things.
Do you own one and what other things do you have to think of paying for when you own one? I'm thinking along the lines of a static caravan already placed in a caravan park.
TIA
smile

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 15:12:18

< settles down >

yes grin

and yes, they are expensive

as well as the cost of the van (huge range there...) you need to take into account

*site fees- up to £3k
*insurance- about £120
*gas bottles- up to 1 per week in colder weather, £25
*electricity-but remember 'tis offset by what you are not usng at home
*extra leisure costs-with the best will in the world, you will spend more on eating out, trips, outdoor toys etc etc
*upkeep of the van and patio/garden area-depends how nice you want it to look (we have spent a fortune on our garden/patio)

having said all that, we love ours and can be found there virtually every weekend

ask away....

Sparkler Mon 24-Aug-09 15:13:12

I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant one nooooooooooooooow!!! grin Need to win the lottery first! Sigh

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 15:20:49

we have had ours a couple of years sparkler (just before the credit crunch)

there is no way we would have considered it this year, I think

however, they can (almost) pay their way, I believe

some sublet their vans and get good money through the school hols

we don't because it is ours, but many do

you can buy them relatively cheaply, it depends what you want

but they are definitely not an investment, depreciate very quickly in value and do eat massively into family finances

it has improved our quality of life immeasurably though

Sparkler Mon 24-Aug-09 15:21:58

Thankyou, that's all really helpful information. How and where did you find yours?

Sparkler Mon 24-Aug-09 15:23:55

I'm more interested in getting one for our own use rather than letting it. Don't want to go far away from home, we already live in a lovely place in Dorset so somewhere no more than an hour away would be ideal. Just want somewhere we can escape for the weekend or school holidays really or even just pop down on a nice evening. Oh sounds wonderful doesn't it! lol

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 15:33:32

we chose the site first, that is the most important bit (sorry, don't want to say where). We just googled with a list of requirements (eg, location, coast/country, swimming pool, playground etc). It depends who has pitches available. There seem to be a few available on our site, I think some people are selling up because of the crunch sad

it had to be within 1.5 hrs drive from home, too far and you get to go there much less. It really was location, location, location for us smile. Then with a list of possibles, we drove round them and picked the one that felt the best/ticked the most boxes

the actual caravan is much easier after that, and not the biggest decision IMO

you can buy one from the site itself and pay them a fee to place it and hook it up etc (simplest option, they make it very easy for you, but probably the dearest option). Most sites have a selection of new and used vans and will add on the fee to the price

or buy from outside and pay to have it transported

like buying a house really !!

hocuspontas Mon 24-Aug-09 15:35:45

I fancy doing this now we are getting rid of our tourer. It's the site fees that are the killer for us.

Sparkler Mon 24-Aug-09 15:36:51

Ok great thanks. I have a couple of places in mind - guess the next step would be to drive there and make enquiries as to what's available.
Thanks so much for your time and advice. It's been a real help. smile

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 15:37:39

yep, site fees are crippling

it depends on location and amount of amenities

but £3k + is not unusual shock

Sparkler Mon 24-Aug-09 15:38:43

Ouch! shock

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 15:40:11

sparkler, if you need any further advice, I am happy to email you

just don't wanna out myself on here grin

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 15:42:50

and remember the distance thing!!

if you want to make regular use of one, it must be within a reasonable drive, or it will sit there empty for weeks on end once the initial novelty wears off !

I see this at our site and 'tis a shame

its great to get away from the phone/rest of family/t'internet at the weekends and school hols

and the kids get soooooo much more freedom than when we are at home

Sparkler Mon 24-Aug-09 15:44:01

Thanks, I appreciate that and totally understand you wanting your privacy. Don't think it's gonna happen any time too soon of us though, lack of funds unfortunately. I just wanted to put the feelers out and see what to expect if we did go ahead.

Sparkler Mon 24-Aug-09 15:45:24

Yes distance is defintely one of things I had in my mind anyway.
My cousin has a static caravan in Wales and we were lucky enough to spend the night there a few weeks ago, that's what has got me started on wanting my own.
I'm usually a camper in a tent but that one night has spoilt me lol!

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 15:49:17

aww, good luck anyways...

hocuspontas Mon 24-Aug-09 16:56:40

Within the site itself, do the site fees depend on sea views, closeness to amenities, size etc or are they the same for everyone?

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 24-Aug-09 17:18:22

Mil has a static caravan, £4k site fees, £500 insurance, then the charges for gas and electricity are just outrageous. The site is closed Oct - Feb but they pay an extra £1k on top of site fees to have an 'extended season' till after xmas. Its sooo bloody cold then and they can't afford to heat it so it stays empty!

THey keep offering it to us in the winter, brrr.

Many many sites have part that the owners fill with rental caravans, then the terms and conditions of the owned ones state no subletting, so don't do it expecting to have an income from it or even for it to pay for itself.

I think you have to look on it as an extension of your own home - and cough up accordingly as it will give you your own open space and fresh air which could cost waaaaay more where you live mon to fri.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 24-Aug-09 17:20:25

sorry I didn't say, in winter the gas for mils caravan can be £100 a weekshock, its not normal gas its the bottled stuff which is inferior for heating purposes and the site owners are not subject to pricing regulations like British Gas are.

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 19:10:10

on our site, hocus, tis the same for everyone (we don't have sea views though)

obviously, the best pitches are snapped up immediately, some are bigger than others, more private, closer to pool/leisure club etc

AnyFucker Mon 24-Aug-09 19:13:28

flibberty, some sites do allow letting, and will arrange it for you and clean imbetween guests if that's what you want (for a hefty fee, of course)

our gas is approx £25/week in winter ie. one cylinder

during the summer, one cylinder lasts for months

we have central heating and double glazing though, so I think that is much more efficient than single glazing and heaters in older-type caravans

slalomsuki Wed 26-Aug-09 09:46:56

We have one in France and its great to get away from the UK to somewhere a little bit warmer in the summer and at Easter.

Site fees are about £3K but for us that includes electricity and gas, sit is open Feb half term to mid November and we use it about 8 to 10 weeks per year, and either rent it out May/June time or let relatives etc use it September/October time.

Yo can pick one up in France second hand for about £7K and a new one at the moment from about £15K. Have a look at Canvas holidays since they sell second hand ones in france at the end of the season or have a look at Siblu since they do a own your own mobile deal too. Its good for background info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now