Advanced search

docuemnts for travelling with children

(4 Posts)
midgebabe Mon 24-Aug-09 14:40:35

Had rather a nasty experience when travelling home from Germany The problem was that my daughter has her father's surname, not mine, in her passeport. I was basically being accused of abducting a child - abducting her back to her home country. It took a lot of talking by my Greman relatives to persuade security to let us leave.

The German embassy have recommended that in future I take DD's birth certificate and my current marriage certificate to provide a name-trail. Does this often happen?

Twinsmommy Mon 24-Aug-09 15:33:15

That's quite interesting. When I travelled back to the UK from Cyprus recently, I was asked at immigration to explain the relationship between me/my partner/our twin boys/my sister/my nephew. I laughed it off at the time, as we were a bit of a sight after a 5 hour flight, but hadn't thought of the fact that the boys have their father's surname and we are not married.

I couldn't make out whether your problem occurred in Germany or in the UK. We were asked in the UK.

mumoverseas Mon 24-Aug-09 17:47:14

I have half expected grief a few times when I've taken my DC from 1st marriage away on holiday as they've a different surname to DH and I but we've never been questioned and in the last few years have been to the states a few times, the Middle East, Far East and Europe. Funny how some people get problems and some don't

midgebabe Mon 24-Aug-09 18:11:59

it was in Germany. I couldn't quite see why it was a problem taking her back to her native country, but I had no problems taking her out of the country!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now