Talk

Advanced search

Baby bits in France - first time abroad so excuse stupid questions...

(15 Posts)
ChocOrange05 Mon 24-Aug-09 13:32:44

We are going to France on Friday, flying to Bordeaux and then picking up a hire car. We seem to have enough stuff to fill the plane already so I was wondering if anyone can tell me how likely it is I will be able to pick up the following in France:

- nappies
- wipes
- swim nappies
- aptimil follow on formula

Sorry if that sounds dumb, of course I know they must use these things in France but do you think I will be able to get them easily or should I just take them with me?

If I should buy them here is it true they sell Aptimil after security at the airport?

Thanks!!

fruitstick Mon 24-Aug-09 13:37:24

They will sell all of those things. Head for the nearest Carrefore or E Le Clerc

MrsBadger Mon 24-Aug-09 13:40:04

you'll be able to get everything except the formula in a Fr supermarket - have never bought any myself but afaik formulas are very country-specific and Fr ones won;t taste the same.

actually for swim nappies IMO you are better off getting this type as the disposables cost a fortune in the long run

and yes you can buy ready-mixed Aptamil airside for use on the flight

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 24-Aug-09 13:55:29

I would certainly be taking the formula milk with me in the suitcase.

Do phone Boots airside (if there is one of these at your departure airport) and ask them what formula milks they stock. I would also request them to put aside some cartons for you for the flight.

ChocOrange05 Mon 24-Aug-09 14:30:34

Thanks all - I don't need formula for the flight as am still BF but DS has bottle of formula a day so will give boots a call and see if they have any we can get at the airport.

MrsBadger we use reusables at home (but too heavy for hols, I assume most people use disps on hols??) but I would like to use those swim nappies but how many would I need if we plan to go swimming twice a day?

Thanks again

wonderingwondering Mon 24-Aug-09 14:38:18

I use disposable swim nappies but I rinse them out, dry them out and re-use multiple times. If there is wee left they smell so go in the bin and if you are in a pool or wash them through, they are pretty clean. Obviously there are some nappy occurrences that mean they go straight in the bin! But 5 or 6 should be enough for a week.

The airport Boots will put cartons to one side for you if you phone in advance. And wipes - depends on how sensitive your LO's skin is. But I always took too many - two packs for a week is fine for nappy changes (one in yr flight bag, one in the suitcase), just use wet kitchen roll and alcohol rub for dirty hands.

I always take my own nappies though, am a Pampers fan! But if you are on beach all day, you won't need as many.

There is a huge going to France thread somewhere on here. Will attempt to dig it out as I need it as well very soon.

MrsBadger Mon 24-Aug-09 14:47:46

yy disps on holidays for me, but I can never get the disposable swim nappies off without ripping them down the sides

you'd need 2 of the reusables I think - just rinse out and they dry overnight if it's warm. Our Mothercare often have old colours marked down, or I bet you could find them cheaper online elsewhere.

tbh if I were you I;d skip the bottle while you;re away if poss - just think, no sterilising, no bottles to pack, no formula... how old is ds?

Here you go, not quite the subject but you might find it useful.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_advice_tips/796107-cost-of-food-in-FRENCH-SUPERMARKETS-just-how-expensi ve-will

BonsoirAnna Mon 24-Aug-09 14:53:23

I never found swim nappies easy to find, but Decathlon always has them. Nappies and wipes (Huggies and Pampers) are available in all super and hypermarkets (but not pharmacies).

ChocOrange05 Mon 24-Aug-09 14:57:59

MrsBadger I know what you mean about BF but I haven't fed DS at bedtime for about 6 months so I'm not sure if I would have enough supply? Also I go back to work shortly after we get back so I don't want to build up supply and then be leaking in the office grin.

MrsBadger Mon 24-Aug-09 14:59:43

fair enough, just wondered smile

vinblanc Mon 24-Aug-09 17:52:57

They really do sell nappies in France. Even French babies need them.

TheWorstWitch Mon 24-Aug-09 22:17:40

Nature's Baby Wipes are impossible to find in France, and my DD came out in a rash when I used any other brand.

rookiemater Mon 24-Aug-09 22:22:48

Have been to France with 9 month old baby. I would bring formula as different brands over there and swim nappies as usually v expensive on the continent.

Something to remember when making up bottles is that the water has more minerals or salt or something so our HV recommended we bought Evian water and used that for bottles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now