Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

holiday in cornwall

(20 Posts)
stitch Sun 29-May-05 16:46:15

hi, hoping to cash in once again on collective wisdom of mumsnet!
hoping to go to cornwall for a week with all the clan, including parents and siblings. any idea of where to look for place to stay. what to do there. etc.
had a great time last summer in scottish castle. was hoping to go south this summer.
any advice appreciated

bubbly1973 Sun 29-May-05 17:57:55

this is the site we are going to in a week or so, we always go there, its child friendly and excellent, we go every year to the same site, theres farm animals around, a shop, pub, and snooker room badminton table tv room, and a restaurant/takeaway too

you do need a car though, and by car its about 10mins away from mevagissy, we have been all around cornwall based from that site, if you have a car nowhere is too far really, let us know how you get on where ever you stay, cornwall is such a lovely place

trencreekfarm

bubbly1973 Sun 29-May-05 18:03:44

nearly forgot, theres a beach near there too 'goranhaven' great beach, but once again not walking distance, need a car

if you havent got a car, perhaps newquay is more suitable, maybe another mumnset could recommend where to stay, i personally am not a fan of newquay, too much surfing stuff and young boys there, and its hard not to drool

flossythesheep Mon 30-May-05 22:01:36

Hi Stitch
we went to Cornwall last year at the begining of June and had a great time. Depending on how far into Corwall you go we went to thenatiional trust property of Cathele where you can walk around and go down to the river and take river rides or just laze about with afternoon tea at the cafe. Other places are the Otter santuary near launceston and the Royal cornwall show was a fab day out. Also great fun at Eden. Wish I was going back!

PrettyCandles Mon 30-May-05 22:06:35

Lapa Valley (3 miniature trains to ride, canoes to paddle, old industrial buildings, park) and Newquay Aquarium are excellent. There is a nice little sandy beach with a very large rockpool just in front of the aquarium.

We stayed at Sands Resort, which was OK. The best thing about it was the entertainment laid on for the children every evening - magicians, visits from the aquarium and from the zoo (with exhibits to handle) etc. The playgrounds were also good, plus you could hire all-terrain buggies at a minimal rate. The beaches in that area were very varied and interesting, but you do need a car to get to them easily.

Have fun!

flossythesheep Mon 30-May-05 22:20:54

oh yes forgot about the aquarium it was great fun, also watch out for events at Plymouth harbour, had a great day out on 6th june celebrations.

Dior Mon 30-May-05 22:22:02

Message withdrawn

stitch Mon 30-May-05 22:25:03

thanks all. must book this holiday instead of chatting!

trefusis Mon 30-May-05 22:26:06

Message withdrawn

bubbly1973 Mon 30-May-05 22:27:59

dior, mevagissy is my favourite place, walking along the harbour eating fish n chips! we have some wonderful memories of when we went to a restaurant called 'bistro' or 'Mr bistro' (not sure of exact name) lovely atmosphere fab nights...ooooo cant wait to go back there next week

hotmama1 Mon 30-May-05 22:34:23

St Ives is fab - but takes ages to get to.

bubbly1973 Mon 30-May-05 22:38:52

ooo yeh st ives is good too (can you tell i love cornwall!!)

i love the shops in st ives

hotmama1 Mon 30-May-05 22:44:16

I want to go to St Ives for August bank holiday week but have left it to late to book a cottage in the town e.g. downalong etc [crap face]

So if anyone knows how I can book a cottage with 2 bedrooms let me know.

St Ives has fab shops, a Tate Gallery, Barbara Hepworth Sculpture garden and Porthmoer beach is fab. Don't get me started about the restaurants etc as I will just start drooling.

stitch Tue 31-May-05 19:49:51

hmmph.... just when im getting all excited about going to cornwall, my parents insist they want to go to scotland!

Dior Tue 31-May-05 20:22:06

Message withdrawn

bubbly1973 Tue 31-May-05 21:56:48

dior, i first read you post as 'ds fell in the harbour'

csa Wed 01-Jun-05 09:34:50

me too!

Hazellnut Wed 01-Jun-05 10:59:57

We went to Cornwall a couple of weeks ago and used this company to book a cottage

cottages

We stayed at number 60 which was lovely. Its quite a small company I think and all the literature is a bit basic but the cottage wasn't at all - better spec than ones we've stayed in with English Country Cottages and the like but a lot cheaper !

Dior Thu 02-Jun-05 20:21:46

Message withdrawn

Magscat Thu 02-Jun-05 20:29:42

Try also Helpful Holidays although I've not checked what size properties they do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now