Talk

Advanced search

what's it like to drive through europe

(9 Posts)
southeastastra Sun 23-Aug-09 00:12:53

?

pofacedandproud Sun 23-Aug-09 00:16:17

where abouts? We do it a lot, and enjoy it. Germany has the best motorway stops [very clean bathrooms] Italy has some good ones too.

southeastastra Sun 23-Aug-09 00:17:27

beginners from uk though like germany and have been there

LightningBolt Sun 23-Aug-09 00:21:50

Go for it,my wonderful dad did this after i did a levels- we did france,belgium,sweitzerland italy and germany.

Was brilliant

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 23-Aug-09 00:22:36

France, in my limited experience has excellent roads and is well signposted. Lots of picnic areas as well as service stations.

Tuscany is madness on the motorways, though the north is better.

pofacedandproud Sun 23-Aug-09 00:38:53

Yes we drove past Florence and that was bonkers. Terrible traffic. France and Germany v nice.

bellabelly Sun 23-Aug-09 01:12:14

Love driving round Europe - my fave kind of holiday! Go for it! Sitting down with a map and planning out a route is fun and you can spend ages thinking about where you'd like to go.

My TOP tip is to get your hotel sorted by about 6pm each evening, nothing worse than scrabbling around for a hotel at 9pm+ when you are tired, hot and hungry...

pofacedandproud Sun 23-Aug-09 09:56:42

I would pre book all accommodation, especially if you have children with you.

CantThinkofFunnyName Sun 23-Aug-09 10:12:01

Just got back from doing this. We do it every year with a car full of kids (5 of them)!! France v good, Belgium ok, Spain ok. Really v easy and thoroughly recommended. Agree to make sure you pre-book all acccommodation when travelling with kids though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now