Talk

Advanced search

Travel across London - how long will it take between these stations?

(29 Posts)
paranoidmother Sat 22-Aug-09 08:06:45

I'm getting into Kings Cross / St Pancras Station at 21.19 (hoping the train is on time) and need to catch the 22.00 train from Marylebone on a Saturday evening.

Is 41 minutes enough time to get there ok? I've got DH, 2 suitcases and 2 DC (3 & 4 - who will be awake to walk).

Was going to take the Northern line or circle from Kings Cross to Baker Street and then change to Bakerloo Line to get to Marylebone so in all only about 4 stops.

Please help - it's the only bit of the holiday that might be a problem.

TIA

vinblanc Sat 22-Aug-09 08:09:52

www.walkit.com
www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl

vinblanc Sat 22-Aug-09 08:12:46

Personally, I would take a taxi with the little ones and suitcases.

EldonAve Sat 22-Aug-09 08:16:36

not sure what the interchange is like
I'd probably get a taxi

paranoidmother Sat 22-Aug-09 08:18:34

It's only about 2 miles so yes I think a Taxi might be a better idea. Thank you

mustrunmore Sat 22-Aug-09 08:19:22

Get a bus! Its easier than going all the way into the underground and faffing about.
Or if you do get the tube, ou dont need to chaNGE. Get off at Baker Street and walk 5 mins to Marylebone; anyone will direct you.

tillyfernackerpants Sat 22-Aug-09 08:19:32

Another vote for a taxi, tubes are not normally known for being reliable esp when you're in a hurry!

mustrunmore Sat 22-Aug-09 08:21:47

Bus is 30 or 205.

Tambajam Sat 22-Aug-09 08:27:17

Get a taxi. There is also engineering works on over the Summer. Check the tfl site. You couldn't do this journey on the Sat 29th for example as a section of the Bakerloo is closed.

paranoidmother Sat 22-Aug-09 08:37:49

ok next question is how long would it take by taxi. I've now found out that the train would be 21.40 instead not 22.00. I'm guessing for 2 miles taxi it should only take 10 minutes or so.

Tambajam Sat 22-Aug-09 08:43:28

I'm afraid 2 miles in London can take considerably longer than that. It is so unpredictable. It could take 10 minutes or 30. Plus you have to factor in getting to the taxi rank and perhaps waiting for a taxi. For that journey you just have to get up the Marylebone road so I would probably say you'd be OK but is there really no flexibility on train times? When is the next one?

paranoidmother Sat 22-Aug-09 08:45:02

There is a train an hour later but it'll cost us another £40+ to catch that one instead. I might look into getting the bus from Victoria on the home trip instead.

vinblanc Sat 22-Aug-09 08:45:45

You have to factor in time to get off your train, get through the barriers, and find your way to the back of the taxi queue. If you have come on a big train, you won't be the only ones doing this.

My instinct is that this connection is too tight.

mustrunmore Sat 22-Aug-09 09:26:50

You need a mnetter to stand in the taxi queue and save you a place so you can swan straight off the train into a cab grin

vinblanc Sat 22-Aug-09 09:31:32

Where are you starting your journey, PN?

Can you do a cross country route rather than coming in and out of London?

paranoidmother Sat 22-Aug-09 12:39:47

Thank you for your help, we're coming in on the Eurostar from France and our train gets into Pancras at 9.19pm. I think I might pass this one over to DH to organise as i've done the rest of the trip and he can decide on whether to pay extra or not for the later train or go for the bus instead.
I'm sure there use to be later and cheaper trains when I use to be single (I know 1 person is cheaper but still...) and younger.

I had a feeling the connection might be to tight to make it and with the dc's i'd prefer not to have to panic on a saturday evening.

Thank you for your help

vinblanc Sat 22-Aug-09 12:47:01

If you are heading to Bicester, there is a train at 10pm, 10.45pm and later.

Are they really different ticket prices for different trains?

lowrib Sat 22-Aug-09 13:16:38

I'm a Londoner, and I wouldn't book a ticket that meant I had only 20 minutes to get from Kings X to Marylebone even if I was travelling on my own, with no luggage.

It's very veru unlikely you'll make it, unless you run off the train, get straight into a cab, there's no traffic and you run straight on to the train at the other end.

In reality if you factor in finding the taxi rank, waiting in the queue for a cab and any traffic at all on the way (which is very likely) you've missed it. Add kids and luggage and we're talking impossible I'm afraid.

In London although cabs are easier the tube can be quicker. Mind you I would be tempted to get a cab for this journey as the circle line isn't the most frequent, you have luggage and kids which will slow you down no end on the tube, the price of a tube without an Oyster card will be astronomical (£4 per adult) a cab is probably cheaper, and it's not that far really.

paranoidmother Sat 22-Aug-09 15:49:36

Had a look on train line which said it would be £10 for 2 adults on the 10pm train but you have to book through chiltern railway who then say they don't do the £10 fair unless you catch the 9.40pm train. Then they only do the £24 per person fair for 10pm and after. Which is really pants. When I spoke to the ticket office in Oxford they quoted us £46 per person return from Bicester to London.
It's all getting more exspensive each time I look.

Thank you for your help.

vinblanc Sat 22-Aug-09 15:52:30

Do you have a Family Railcard?

IdrisTheDragon Sat 22-Aug-09 15:55:58

I'd say that 20 minutes to go from st pancras to marylebone isn't long enough. Especially as your eurostar might be a bit late and you will take a bit of time to leave st pancras.

That is silly prices for the train - I travelled from Warwick to marylebone yesterday foe about £18 a d tbat's further on than Bicester. I suppose the train companies have a captive market.

MrsFlittersnoop Sat 22-Aug-09 16:04:56

I would pre-book a local minicab firm to pick you up from St Pancras to take you to Marylebone. Don't risk queuing for a black cab - they are v. expensive anyway.

I do this all the time for trips home to North London from Paddington station. Our cab firm gets the driver to phone me on my mobile about 10 minutes before pick-up, to confirm exact time of arrival, give me a description of the car and arrange to collect me at a particular location outside the station. I've then got the driver's number on my phone in case we miss each other.

I use Fairway cars - 0208 445 1234. They are very reliable - we don't have a car so we use them at least 2-3 times per week.

HTH

MrsFlittersnoop Sat 22-Aug-09 16:08:43

Ah - just seen that you only have 20 minutes to get to Marylebone, not 40 blush.

In that case it really isn't possible. Ring Chiltern Railways again and ask for a quote for tickets using a Family Railcard. We have one and it makes a HUGE difference to our train travel costs.

paranoidmother Sat 22-Aug-09 16:09:40

Thank you MrsFlittersnoop I'll make a note of their number and we'll probably use them. It's handy to have someone who can recommend a firm.

Thank you.

paranoidmother Sat 22-Aug-09 16:10:31

Is a Railcard worth it as the dc's are under 5. It's just the 2 of us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now