Talk

Advanced search

Can I take fruit in my suitcase?

(7 Posts)
mumjoanne Fri 21-Aug-09 18:50:38

We've not been out of the country for a long long time but are flying to Majorca on Monday. Owing to a mess up with my fruit delivery I have a mountain of fresh fruit that I want to take with me - pineapples, melons, oranges and bananas. Am I allowed to pack them in my suitcase and take them with me? This maybe a very stupid question but we are not very experienced travellers and I don't want any problems. Thank you

domesticslattern Fri 21-Aug-09 19:59:48

First thing to say is that you're going to have a mass of very bruised fruit. And it sounds heavy. I know some countries also prohibit it, such as Australia and Chile (I don't know about Spain, sorry), and really get arsey if you try to take it in.

So all in all I really wouldn't recommend it, whether for hand or hold luggage. Why not have lots of smoothies at the weekend and/ or also cut up some of the fruit and freeze it.

Have a nice holiday!

MrsBadger Fri 21-Aug-09 20:05:46

within the EU you are ok, but it will indeed bruise like buggery

chop and freeze to use for smoothies when you get home

cookielove Fri 21-Aug-09 20:05:58

america also won't let you take fruit in, and i'm thinking its a no, u could take some with u on the plane to eat but thats about it

KnickKnack Fri 21-Aug-09 20:13:47

blitz it all this weekend, and then freeze the puree.
use it to make smoothies when you get home.

saggyhairyarse Fri 21-Aug-09 21:08:33

I am imagining your case trundling along the carousel with juice seeping out and you opening it and all your stuf being covered in fruit pulpe!

Don't do it! Either give it to friends/family or freeze it.

mumjoanne Fri 21-Aug-09 23:31:07

Thanks everyone - I think you're right. We're going to have a very juicy weekend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now