Talk

Advanced search

Day out at the seaside - need reccomendations!

(17 Posts)
MarchNowFebMum Thu 20-Aug-09 17:59:49

Looking for:
Nice seaside day trip this weekend
1-2 hours by train from London at most
Place with sandy areas near water where child can play for a couple hours and then we can have lunch somewhere fun afterwards before heading home
Ideally said beachy area would be walk or short cab ride from train station.

Someone suggested Whitstable but I fear it's a rocky beach. Any other ideas?

EccentricaUsesTheDMForBogRoll Thu 20-Aug-09 18:01:13

Weymouth?

MrsWeasley Thu 20-Aug-09 18:03:41

weymouth in Dorset (here I go againgrin) has a lovely sandy beach and lots of really nice places to eat. The beach is less than 5 minutes walk from the beach (it is honestly, just come out of station, walk to the end of the road, cross over and you are at the
beach.)

Sorry dont know how long from london.

HTH

MrsWeasley Thu 20-Aug-09 18:04:17

EccentricaUsesTheDMForBogL wink Great minds etc etc

MrsWeasley Thu 20-Aug-09 18:08:14

Sorry just looked and it probably more like 2.45 - 3.30 from waterloo to weymouth.

Still worth going IMVHO grin

MarchNowFebMum Fri 21-Aug-09 08:41:16

Under 2hrs to beach might be pushing it (unless Thames estuary?)but I have octopus like toddler and I am not sure she would last on a train for more than that!

Claire2301 Fri 21-Aug-09 08:54:18

Sherringham in Norfolk is a nice little town with a sandy beach. Not sure about train links though (and at work so best not check!)

lankyesme Fri 21-Aug-09 08:55:51

Herne Bay, 2 stops from Whitstable and has sandy areas set aside for ch etc

MarchNowFebMum Fri 21-Aug-09 12:36:34

Herne Bay has a children's destival tomorrow - great tip!

fufflebum Fri 21-Aug-09 12:46:07

Beach at Broadstairs really nice and sandy

ninah Fri 21-Aug-09 12:48:14

Walton on the Naze
not sure about the 'fun' lunch but sand beaches, reachable by train from Liverpool St

ninah Fri 21-Aug-09 12:48:50

I think .. maybe Frinton is more sandy
that area anyway (not Clacton tho)

preciouslillywhite Fri 21-Aug-09 12:51:53

If it's for you-Whitstable. if for kids-Sunny Southend-on-Sea smile

Not much sand to speak of- but lots of mud.Have never known a child get bored there!

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 21-Aug-09 12:51:55

Bournemouth

MissisBoot Fri 21-Aug-09 12:53:14

Frinton definitely - 90 mins from Liverpool St - lovely clean beach - check high tide times though as high tide comes right up and takes an hour or so to reveal the sand so as not to disappoint the children!

You can walk from the train station easily - and nice cafes on the high street for lunch!

allnamestaken Fri 21-Aug-09 17:24:37

Not sandy I know, but I just had most fabulous trip to Brighton with my kids. Less than an hour from Clapham junction. Kids had the best time with buckets and spades, then fish and chips on the beach followed by a walk on the pier. They loved every second of it.

brimfull Fri 21-Aug-09 17:28:09

bournemouth
alum chine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now