Talk

Advanced search

ESPRIT vs KINDERHOTEL in the summer - what are your experiences?

(17 Posts)
MovingOutOfBlighty Wed 19-Aug-09 16:21:42

I am thinking of doing a last minute bunk to the alps and really want childcare on the holiday as my toddler is all over the place and going I'm solo. Also have a 5 year old.

We could be going to either Hotel Galtenberg with Kinderhotels
or Belle Plagne with Esprit but woule appreciate any advice!!

MovingOutOfBlighty Wed 19-Aug-09 16:37:07

bump and will keep bumping till someone helps!

MovingOutOfBlighty Wed 19-Aug-09 18:42:17

bumpity bump

MovingOutOfBlighty Thu 20-Aug-09 13:17:13

And bumping again just incase there is someone out there who can help!

FreddoBaggyMac Thu 20-Aug-09 15:15:46

I'll bump for you this time smile
can't really offer any advise, but I've heard some good things about Kinderhotels - am thinking about it myself for the future so will watch this thread with interest.

MarmadukeScarlet Thu 20-Aug-09 15:33:40

I did KH last year - not same one that you are planning.

The level of English spoken by the staff in the children's club was very low, they used a 6 yr old bilingual girl (who was there occasionally) to translate important instructions for my (then) 8 yr old DD.

I didn't leave my 3 yr old with them at all as he just couldn't cope with the lack of communication.

First time I'd been to a hotel where not even the fire escape instructions had an English translation.

On the first night there we were wandering around wondering why the restaurant was closed, only to be informed that the sign said (in German) that this meal would be served at a restaurant 100m away.

It was an ok holiday - not the best nor worst I've spent - but a real struggle as my German is poor (although DH understands/speaks more than I do) but signing up to activity sheets was like lucky dip - never quite sure what I was comitting myself to!

MovingOutOfBlighty Thu 20-Aug-09 20:13:38

Oh dear Marmaduke - that sounds a bit shite as a holiday!
Bit worried now as was about to take the plunge and do a Kinderhotel!

MarmadukeScarlet Thu 20-Aug-09 22:54:50

But if you search the travel section, folk there rave about 'em.

Someone went this year to Sporthotel Achensee, where I went, and said the level of English spoken in the CC was good - all I can say is they must have new staff this yr!

On the plus side my DD loved the children's spa, the golf lessons and the horse riding. My DS loved the indoor swimming pools and they both loved paddling in the streams/swimming ponds. The adults spa and sauna/steam/damp/ice rooms were great.

The See-Alm (where several of the meals were taken per day/eve) was a beautiful wooden chalet with roaring log fires - yes even in July, and they were a welcome relief as it was quite cold and rainy when we were there. (obv not KH's fault!)

BUT, as a SAHM, with a DH who works away I like to go on holiday to spend some time with him or alone and on this hol there was very little of that. (I am quite easy to please I got 10 hours of childcare during a 2 week holiday this year and was very content.)

Kiwinyc Fri 21-Aug-09 14:08:26

Just got back last weekend from 2 wks in Austria with Esprit and had a fantastic time. the childcare was excellent, i have a 3 & 6 who were in Mini-alpies together. the only problem was the days were so full on they were often too tired for cocoa club but too old to leave upstairs alone while we had dinner so i ate in our room a few times in order to put them to bed early.

Have been .v tempted by kinderhotels but glad we went with Esprit and will do so again.

movingnow Fri 21-Aug-09 16:57:15

I've been to the Hotel Galtenberg in winter and really enjoyed it. DS was 4 at the time and was in ski school so can't really comment on the childcare. Have also been here www.unterschwarzach.at/ and here www.aktivhotel-veronika.at/en where DS used the kids clubs.

MovingOutOfBlighty Sat 22-Aug-09 12:31:51

Thank you Movingnow (are you my cousin?)
I have booked it there as in the end was the best value and easiest to book.
Can't wait! I am going to do my best Maria Von Trapp impression.

movingnow Sat 22-Aug-09 12:52:28

I assume you mean you've booked the Galtenberg? Have a great time, I'm very jealous envy. No I'm not your cousin grin

mousemole Sun 23-Aug-09 20:12:25

Had 2 weeks with |Esprit in Chamonix this summer and it was amazing. Childcare, food and everything great except the actual chalet was a bit basic. I didn't care tbh as the child free days were so wonderful I could have been in a goat hut !

MovingOutOfBlighty Sun 23-Aug-09 20:15:02

Will keep that in mind for next year mousemole. Always good to hear about how someone else got on at a place I would definitely consider.

Have now booked a Kinderhotel and excessively excited about it! I am so going to do a Sound of music thingy on a mountain somewhere. grin

mousemole Sun 23-Aug-09 20:20:02

ooh let us know how you get on. Have been indulging in lots of drooling over kinderhotels and am tempted for next year smile

MovingOutOfBlighty Sun 23-Aug-09 20:34:39

Will do. I am especially excited by the prospect of 56 hours of childcare. My dd will be speaking German by the end!

And BTW, it was really reasonably priced for what it is. Could have got a naff looking room by the costa del yukky for the same price with no childcare and no food. This has everything. And a spa!

trockodile Sun 23-Aug-09 20:56:54

I went to Sporthotel Achensee this year (see my review in holidays). We had a great time. Childcare staff mostly spoke English, not exactly sure how good as I encouraged them to speak German to my DS-he and I both speak reasonable German which we need to practise. DH doesn't speak much though and had no dramas with them not understanding him.

DS went to the kids club every evening, usually from 5-8:30 ish and loved it. They rehearsed for a dance show (held at the end of the week) in their theatre for an hour, and usually had an activity after (treasure hunt/craft/disco/movie(I think in German). They also fed him. He went in the day 2 or 3 times-when we weren't going out for trips- and loved every minute of it. They did Camp fires/red indians in the wood which he really enjoyed.

As DS was 4(the day after we arrived) we could mostly just turn up and only had to book special activities-and book for meals. The reception staff were very helpful with stuff like that though-and spoke good English.

Swimming lessons were not a success-they were expensive and no fun. DS loves the water, but was asking not to go by the last 2.

I really hope you enjoy it. We are planning a trip back hopefully next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now