Talk

Advanced search

I am a numpty. Messed up our Ryannair booking, Any tips?

(18 Posts)
ladyhelen2 Wed 19-Aug-09 15:29:18

We are flying with Ryannair for the first time in a couple of weeks. I was in charge of booking and I put down my married name instead of my maiden name which is still on my passport. Doh.

As I would then end up with a boarding pass and a passport with different surnames, I assume I have to change it. To do so will cost an unbelievable £100. To make a fresh booking in the right name £71. Can I do this and my married alter ego just not check in (online)?

ANy tips from seasoned Ryannair travellers?

TaxiLady Wed 19-Aug-09 15:31:03

have you any other id in your married name??

Rubyrubyrubyrubi Wed 19-Aug-09 15:32:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CybilLiberty Wed 19-Aug-09 15:33:09

Can't you just turn up and hope for the best?
My friend's name didn't correspond (spelling wise) with that on the online booking someone else had done so we couldn't check ourselves in at the airport.She had to show her driving license to the check in staff. Take along some other id and I would have thought you'd be ok?

Wonderstuff Wed 19-Aug-09 15:40:08

Ryanair are ime extremely unhelpful. I wouldn't risk just turning up tbh. How much to change your passport? Is that possible?

theyoungvisiter Wed 19-Aug-09 15:42:11

I wouldn't chance just turning up - I am SURE Ryanair would look for excuse to bump you off the flight and charge for a new ticket.

Other airlines might be more understanding but I seriously doubt ryanair would.

The charge for changing a name is even higher at the airport - £150 I think, or something like that.

lynniep Wed 19-Aug-09 15:46:20

God no dont just turn up and hope for the best. This is Ryanair we're talking about here. Call them and check if they will change your name. If they say they will get proof by email. Or ring back and check the name on the booking. If they say they'll do it on the day, dont believe them. Honestly I wouldnt risk it.

Otherwise change your passport - were you never going to do this? Might be a good idea in case you make the same mistake in the future! Would be far more sensible to do that than make a fresh booking - at least you're getting something for your dosh!

ladyhelen2 Wed 19-Aug-09 15:46:31

i could take marriage certificate to show that Miss Y and Mrs Z are in fact the same person. Going in 2 weeks so prob not enough time to change passport. Driving licence in maiden name too (stubbornly held on to it till kids came along). I dread phoning them, but perhaps I will have too......

TessOfTheDullvilles Wed 19-Aug-09 15:51:32

still time to change your passport - they now offer 1-week or even same-day services - just costs a bit extra

Rubyrubyrubyrubi Wed 19-Aug-09 15:51:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CybilLiberty Wed 19-Aug-09 15:53:32

I have a stupidly rosy tint in my glases when it comes to air travel smile

Claire2301 Wed 19-Aug-09 15:54:39

I would either change your passport or rebook. You can just not check in the "other you"!

Ryanair (as other people have said above) make as much money out of you as is possible.

Hope you get it all sorted.

Wonderstuff Wed 19-Aug-09 15:56:48

Phone and check that taking marriage cert will be ok. Seriously they are rubbish. I once accidently booked two sets of tickets, clearly in the same names, due to computer error (I pressed the back button rather than call them when the pc crashed). They point blank refused to refund me. And calling them costs a fortune. This is the airline that wanted to start charging people to use the in flight loos!!

theyoungvisiter Wed 19-Aug-09 15:57:00

"By Rubyrubyrubyrubi on Wed 19-Aug-09 15:51:36
Post Office check and send takes 2 weeks"

I think they say it should take 2 weeks but that you shouldn't use the regular service if you are travelling within the next 6 weeks

(Disclaimer - I think those are the timeframes but it's all a bit fuzzy - I only did DS2's passport a couple of months ago and it's all gone out of my head already.)

But it's absolutely right that you can get one much faster if you are prepared to pay a bit extra (probably cheaper than the £100 ryanair want)

ladyhelen2 Wed 19-Aug-09 15:58:31

I'll phone em and see what they say but I think the passport change may be the way forward. I hadn't thought of that one till this thread. I really AM a numpty.

trixymalixy Wed 19-Aug-09 16:06:17

Definitely cheaper just to get a new passport. can you still get a same day service if you urn up in person?

Wonderstuff Wed 19-Aug-09 16:13:21

here
They do a one week service.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 19-Aug-09 17:25:11

ladyhelen

Change your passport asap to reflect your married name. Its the cheapest way for you going forward.

I hope you have not phone Ryanair, the whole concept of "customer service" is completely alien to them and they are just so bloody unhelpful.

They won't accept your marriage cert as proof either at the airport. They will just say no and hit you hard in a monetary sense for any changes you make to the booking as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now