Talk

Advanced search

What do i need for self catering holiday?!

(10 Posts)
SleepyGrrrl Mon 17-Aug-09 07:28:46

We're going to Menorca with Thompson in 3 weeks time. The info about the room says it has a kitchenette with microwave, and the room is cleaned / laundered twice weekly.

I've never been self catering before, so sorry if i'm being dense, but will it be equipped? Obviously i'm taking towels with us, but what else would you recommend i take (bearing in mind i have 2 toddlers)

I could just ring Thompson, but anyone has any useful answers, it'll save me ringing a premium rate number!

nekonix Mon 17-Aug-09 08:07:33

i have been on a few self catering hols and the only things i have been supplied with were the cooking essentials.
an oven, a couple of saucepans and a frying pan.
we had a kettle but i know of some people that haven't. you should also have cutlery, plates and cups/glasses.

have you tried the thomson website?

SleepyGrrrl Mon 17-Aug-09 08:23:39

yes, very little info on that, just the option of ringing them.

I can't see us actually doing much cooking as such - more just cereal, fruit, sandwiches etc, and occasionally eating out.

So i need to take cutlery and plates / bowls, and a travel kettle?

I'll need to get an adapter too, so we can take my straighteners and a portable DVD player for when the kids are sleeping.

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 09:11:27

if it is a self-catering apt they will provide pans, crockery, glasses, cutlery and kettle

you should only need to take 'consumables' ie food, washign up liquid etc

but also take chopping board, good knife becaus etheirs are always rubbish

SleepyGrrrl Mon 17-Aug-09 09:56:49

great, thanks MrsBadger.

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 10:06:56

oh and teatowels

actually I would check if bath towels are provided, they often are

SleepyGrrrl Mon 17-Aug-09 11:59:22

ok, will remember tea towels. Or maybe just take kitchen roll, so less washing and it'll leave more room in my case coming home for the things i KNOW i'll want to buy at the market!

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 12:03:14

don't take kitchen roll
they have supermarkets over there too, you know hmm

Sometimes I take old holey teatowels and bin them before coming home

nekonix Mon 17-Aug-09 12:35:53

sorry blush - should have been more clearer.
they provide all your cutlery etc..

the only thing you need to take are towels and tea towels

we ate out most of the time. the only time we ate in our appartment was breakfast and lunch. smile

SleepyGrrrl Tue 18-Aug-09 08:56:23

yes, i do know that, thanks MrsBadger. My point was taking something i already have, rather than spending more cash.

Thanks nokonix - don't worry, i'm tired and easily confused!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now