Talk

Advanced search

Going abroad in Feb 2010, should I book SleazyJet now or wait until nearer the time?

(13 Posts)
Fimbo Sun 16-Aug-09 22:40:31

Will the prices come down nearer the time, or is it best just to book now?

Help!

LadyMuck Sun 16-Aug-09 22:45:10

Unless they have a sale I believe that the cheapest prices get sold first. We always try and get the flights as soon as they become available.

Fimbo Sun 16-Aug-09 22:52:16

Thanks LadyMuck, having an ongoing arguement civil discussion with dh about it. I want to book now, he wants to wait.

He dithers about things for so long, it hacks me off, he always decides that I am right about a month down the line, so I think I will just book.

holdingittogether Mon 17-Aug-09 13:32:49

Book now. Prices are unlikley to come down unless a special sale or something. I would book now.

Claire2301 Mon 17-Aug-09 13:37:53

Hi,

They generally have sales about 2/3 months ahead. So for Feb the sale would be November time.

How much are the flights at the moment (if you don't mind me asking!)Also would it be a popular winter destination?

willali Tue 18-Aug-09 09:11:07

If it is a ski destination you will find they are mostly booked up - we got out EAsy jet flights to Austria for FEb half term 2010 in April when they were first released, and even then they were not cheap (£1700 for 4)You can get on their mailing list for bulletins of when they release flights via the website

Fimbo Tue 18-Aug-09 14:50:37

We are going to Malaga, it is about £650 for 4 with Easy Jet but about £370 with RyanAir. Have never flown with Ryanair before, I keep hearing bad things about them.

I am booking this week.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 18-Aug-09 15:04:16

Not with Ryanair I trust.

£370 with Ryanair eh?. And the rest!. There are many hidden charges, you won't end up paying £370 by the time they've finished with you. They charge for absolutely everything. That awful shower of an airline have a very mean baggage allowance of 15kg (per case) to boot and will charge you loads for any excess.

Would rather pay more and use a decent carrier instead. Book early too; the flight prices are a lot higher nearer the time.

slalomsuki Tue 18-Aug-09 15:18:08

Try Monarch to Malaga.

We went with them at half the price of Easy jet in early July

Tamz77 Tue 18-Aug-09 18:27:21

I'd reiterate the words of warning about Ryannair. Price it up right until the point you actually pay just so you know exactly what your hol would cost. One thing they do is charge extra per person per flight for paying by credit or debit card, even when you pay in one transaction. Once this added £40 (in a single transaction) to buying flights just for me and DS.

I once saw the boss of Ryannair on TV saying that he was aiming to get passengers travelling "with no luggage at all" hmm

mumtojames Tue 18-Aug-09 18:43:00

we go with ryaniar quite frequently, and yes you do need to be careful for all the extras. if you have an electron card you dont incurr the £10 per passenger fee, you can apply for one of these through your own bank, i believe you have to open a basic account to get one.
for schedules we've always found ryaniar reliable and on time. but BE CAREFUL WHEN PRICING UP!!!!

applepudding Thu 20-Aug-09 22:36:55

As soon as all the budget airlines release their flight schedules for the times you want to go, check them all (Easyjet, Ryanair, Thompsonfly, BMIbaby, Jet2(?something like that) including all on-costs, plus if you are willing to travel to airport, check all those airports in distance you are willing to travel to (then cost in car parking charges) - once you've done that then book ASAP.

Re Ryanair - we've travelled with them the last two years but after two years of having to repack our cases at the airport and stuff things into our carry-on bags as we were slightly over the 15 kg weight restriction (how can the same luggage weigh more on the way back than the way out???) we are seriously considering avoiding them next year. That said, the flights have been on time and the staff on board have been friendly and helpful.

Fimbo Mon 24-Aug-09 11:04:44

Sorry should have come back to this thread early, I was aware of the "added extras" and have booked. Still worked out much cheaper. I kept going back to check I had typed the dates correctly and our names etc. Was petrifed hitting the process button!

Hopefully all will be ok and I will not live to regret it. wink

Thanks for all your help btw! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now