Talk

Advanced search

Carlisle Bay Antigua, wonderful? Worth the money?

(4 Posts)
WideWebWitch Sun 16-Aug-09 20:00:49

Any comments and personal experience welcome. Thanks.

Tillyscoutsmum Sun 16-Aug-09 20:03:03

I've never been there unfortunately but my dsis used to work in the spa there. She told me it was fantastic envy

DavidCameronsTie Thu 20-Aug-09 23:21:37

I have visited Carlisle Bay before for dinner whilst staying elsewhere in Antigua. Whilst the hotel is undoubtably plush, I would not say that the location is idyllic.

The hotel is in the middle of Old Road, a relatively poor village on the west coast. It feels rather isolated from the village due to the substantial security gates! Depending upon whether you regard Fort Knox style security as a positive feature this may or may not bother you smile

The main concern I would have is the hotel beach. I understand from speaking with locals (and my DH who has visited Antigua since the age of 2!), the beach can be plagued by seaweed, which may scupper your fantasy of crystal clear water.

Seaweed issues aside, if you are looking for luxury you would be hard pressed to find anywhere better in Antigua. There are however a couple of other possibilities you may like to consider. Have you looked at either Curtain Bluff or Hermitage Bay?

I know the island fairly well so am happy to help if you need any other info smile.

tvfriend Sat 22-Aug-09 21:41:46

Sister in law and family just got back. They said it was great but not amazing and the food was v v expensive in the hotel, so much so that it took the shine of it a bit(and they are v v wealthy envy but not stingy IYSWIM).
But that aside they had a fab time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now