Talk

Advanced search

going to scottish higlands on friday (Gairloch area) reccomendations for places to go please :)

(21 Posts)
JackiePaper Sun 16-Aug-09 19:05:02

ok so me, dh, ds(5) and dd(2) are off to scotland on friday and i can't wait grin

anyone been before/live in the area and reccomend us the best beaches/walks/cafes etc please? we are staying in Laide nr Gairloch on the west coast.

tia

MrsMuddle Sun 16-Aug-09 19:36:05

Can't recommend anywhere, but bring midge repellent - they're worse than usual this year. (And wellies and fleeces - it's cold and wet!)

wigglybeezer Sun 16-Aug-09 19:49:06

I was about to say take midge proof head nets (make sure they are the midge ones not the mozzy ones).

Inverewe gardens are nice.

Fishing off the peir at Gairloch with a line bought in the wee shop there is fun, we were trying for crabs but caught a fish!

JackiePaper Sun 16-Aug-09 19:53:46

ok now you're scaring me.

are the midges really that bad??

do they just come out in the evening or are they there all day?

i thought they weren't too bad near the coast....

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 16-Aug-09 19:53:55

My DH is from Aultbea, just along the road from Laide, so we are there a LOT.

It's a beautiful area.

Gruinard and Mellon Udrigle beaches are favourites, also Gairloch beach.

Ullapool is fun for a day trip.

The Old Inn in Gairloch is lovely for dinner, as is the Shieling. The Treasure Chest cafe by the pier does lovely scones and jams.

The Perfume Factory in Mellon Charles has a lovely shop and cafe.

Inverewe Gardens and Poolewe itself are lovely, there is a very special little cafe there called the Bridge cafe with fantastic cakes.

JackiePaper Sun 16-Aug-09 19:54:30

head nets? shock seriously?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 16-Aug-09 19:54:33

Have just come back from there and do indeed have a few midgie bites!!

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 16-Aug-09 19:55:03

Didn't have any head nets though, and never have used anything like that up there!!

JackiePaper Sun 16-Aug-09 19:56:29

ah someone with nice things to say that's better grin

we are staying in Sand Laide, walking distance to the beach (i think it's gruinard?) so nice beach nearby sounds good (crosses fingers for sunshine)

JackiePaper Sun 16-Aug-09 19:57:21

what's in ullapool then? is it worth a visit do you think?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 16-Aug-09 19:58:21

Ullapool is very scenic and has a harbour, beach and boat trips etc, also nice shops and cafes (we like the Ceilidh Place and someone has recommended the Arch Inn to us)

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 16-Aug-09 20:00:00

For spectactular scenery, going past Ullapool to Lochinver or Kylesku, or going to Torridon make lovely day trips too.

CainInThePuntIsTheDailyMail Sun 16-Aug-09 20:12:46

Oh my god, I lived in Ullapool and in Gairloch many years ago. Please will you post when you get back to tell me what it is like now?

If you want the drive of your life ( think peugot) head right up the coast towards Kylesku.

Would second the midge covering - they hunt in clouds up there so an effective repellant and the hats with the screens on.

As for Ullapool, the Ceilidh place is lovely but I loved the FBI (Ferry Boat Inn) at the other end of Shore Street - assuming it's still there.

Have a lovely holiday and as you pass Braemore Junction look out for the parking on the right to go and see Corrieshalloch gorge - it used to be fairly impressive but it has probably been 'done' by the HSE by now!

Medee Sun 16-Aug-09 20:19:20

there is still a hair-raising bridge, Cain.

Avon Skin So Soft is sworn by as anti-midge, and I reckon it is pretty good. We were up there in June, and escaped reasonably bite free.

mawbroon Sun 16-Aug-09 20:35:31

Check out the leisure centre in Gairloch for the kids (it's part of the school) and I believe there is now a library there too (there wasn't when we holidayed there many moons ago).

There is a swimming pool in Poolewe, but the opening hours are limited and when we were there in May, the pool was FREEZING!! The showers were lovely and warm though. smile

If it's dry, then you can spend hours on the beaches playing and collecting shells etc.

It is fab there if it's dry, but you might struggle a bit if it's peeing down with rain - which it can do in spectacular style. I don't know what type of accommodation you are staying in, but if poss, bring plenty books/games/toys/dvds etc in case you do get rain for days on end.

And yes, the midges can be awful. But don't let that put you off!

JackiePaper Sun 16-Aug-09 20:49:04

yes am crossing fingers for dry weather as we can just go to the beach all day.

anyone know anywhere nr gairloch that will provide food for some vegetarian children? <<hopeful>>

also anyone know any nice walks that we could do - ds(5 and a bit) is pretty good, will walk 3 -4 miles without moaning and we have a back carrier for dd, obviously nothing too steep tho!

cain - will of course report back after the holiday to let you know (what is the HSE?)

CainInThePuntIsTheDailyMail Sun 16-Aug-09 21:52:24

Thanks Medee, glad to hear it.

HSE is the Heath and Safety Executive - I'm being melodramatic, the bridge is dramatic and impressive but completely safe unless you climb the ropes and fling yourself off, which you just wouldn't. grin

A very lovely place to go is a couple of hours drive up the coast to Smoo caves, with tours in a boat. I loved it but again my info might be outdated.

Looking forward to the update.

roisin Sun 16-Aug-09 22:31:58

I've come to the conclusion that midges are just a fairy story - they don't really exist! It's just a scare story invented to keep people away so that Scotland remains quiet and remote. We've spent 3 of our last 4 summer holidays in Scotland and scarcely seen a single midge, and hardly seen any rain either.

We were in Aviemore/Skye/Muck end July/beginning of August and saw two midges during the whole time.

hf128219 Sun 16-Aug-09 22:34:09

Smoke keeps midges away!

JackiePaper Sun 16-Aug-09 23:29:05

Aha! now there's an excuse to not quit smoking if ever i heard one! lol!

madlentileater Mon 17-Aug-09 00:02:40

do not underestimate the midges, really!
Tis v v lovely though
envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now