Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to France with DS, different surnames

(5 Posts)
Tamlin Thu 13-Aug-09 22:07:06

This isn't likely to cause a problem, is it? I've just had a American friend ask me this as she got stopped and questioned going from Canada into the US with her baby - like us, they have different surnames on their passports. DH is not going with me.

piscesmoon Thu 13-Aug-09 22:12:23

I never found it a problem-no one ever questioned it.

lulu1414 Fri 14-Aug-09 09:26:01

I have never found it a problem- we have been to Ireland, Germany and Canada on our own and it was fine.

janinlondon Fri 14-Aug-09 09:27:54

I've seen people being stopped - its not routine but they have crack downs periodically (usually after a high profile child disappearance). It does make sense of course - any adult should not be able to travel with any child without being able to show a relationship. If you want to be absolutely sure, take birth certificate and a signed letter from DH saying he knows you are going and does not object.

ConstantlyCooking Sat 15-Aug-09 08:14:16

My DCs have Dh's surname while my passport is still in my maiden name. I have been stopped twice when going through passport control in the UK and questioned about why i am travelling with this child. The issue is normally resolved when DH appears behind me with other DC waving passports. LAst time the official said I should take DCs birth certificates if I am travelling on my own just in case I am stopped and also so I can prove I am their mother if I need to consent to medical treatment as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now