Talk

Advanced search

What to do around Faro between arriving and vill being avaliable?

(18 Posts)
floaty Wed 12-Aug-09 14:16:41

We fly into Faro on saturday morning but can't get into villa until 4pm,although will probably try turning up early as generally we have foiund its OK after 2pm in other places.We have 3 boys 15,12 and 7 and they will have been up early so nothing too strenuous!!
Worse on the way back as have to be out of villa by 10am and flight not until the evening.!

Our villa is in st Barbara de nexe so only 20 mins from airport,never been to algarve before so all advice is welcome!

Claire2301 Wed 12-Aug-09 14:18:40

Will you be hiring a car? Or using taxi's?

If in a car the beach at Vale De Lobo is lovely. About 20 minute drive from airport.

We didn't spend anytime in Faro so can't offer any advice for the city itself.

Have a lovely time!

floaty Wed 12-Aug-09 14:23:47

We are hiring a car but expect it will be a little bit of a squash ,so no long journeys!!

Mumwhensdinneready Wed 12-Aug-09 18:06:12

I think the airport is on the outskirts of Faro. Afraid I don't know St Barbara.
I'd go and park up near the villa then go for a leisurely lunch and explore the area.
I love the Algarve and we are going next week to Alvor.

Claire2301 Wed 12-Aug-09 20:20:43

Alvor is fab- we have stayed in Praria da Rocha twice in the last year and have spent a good part of the time in Alvor.

Yeah I'd also be inclined to have a stroll, lunch then head towards villa.

If either of you would like a free guidebook to the Algarve then it's yours! I've managed to order two! No need to pay postage. Just let me know- can post tomorrow. Also have a couple of maps?

I wouldn't be up for this (at all!) but guide book recommends a "chapel of bones" in Largo de Carmo in Faro!

Loule is also fantastic according to the guidebook.

Email is: clairemichelle23@hotmail.co.uk

Hope that helps a bit.

mumonthenet Wed 12-Aug-09 21:21:28

1. Forum Algarve Shopping centre? Head towards Faro centre from the airport. It's very close. Free underground parking, cashpoints, toilets, even a big supermarket if you want to stock up for your holiday, loads of shops, and places to eat, or takeaway. BUT take care about leaving a car full of luggage unattended wherever you go.

2. It will take you an hour to get through the airport, another hour to get the car...by that time maybe your villa will be nearly ready!

3. Sta Barbara is a pretty village, there are cafes, etc but it will be hot in the middle of the day and maybe not the place to drag everybody around looking for food.

Can you contact the villa managers and ask if you can get in early? Really worth asking.

Mumwhensdinneready Thu 13-Aug-09 14:43:07

Claire, thanks for the offer but I have maps and guide books already.
We went to Alvor last year and I wouldn't normally go to the same place again but my two DSs loved it so much they begged to go back. They are 11 and 13 and looking forward to some body boarding.

Claire2301 Thu 13-Aug-09 16:40:40

No worries- Just thought I would offer in case. Love it too, people were so friendly, lovely streets in the old part of town to wander around, good food and nice beaches - perfect! Although avoid the red restaurant in Praia da Rocha with orange and cream moulded plastic chairs my friend and I got severe camplyobacter from them!

floaty Thu 13-Aug-09 18:51:16

Thanks for the offer Claire,I think we are OK though,really good to hear that your boys enjoyed it so much.

quoteTHISyafuckers Thu 13-Aug-09 18:56:50

I now want to know what camplyobacter is.
I'm going to google.

will I regret this?

quoteTHISyafuckers Thu 13-Aug-09 18:58:59

oooohhhh-kaaaayy. I see. Not the sort of thing you want on holiday envy - that's not an envy face, that's an impression...grin

Claire2301 Fri 14-Aug-09 08:51:30

He he - we were "lucky" in the fact that the lovely piri piri chicken was our last meal before our flight home, therefore systems didn't hit us until 48 hours later. Had we got it while we were still there it would have been impossible to fly home!

Mumwhensdinneready Fri 14-Aug-09 11:17:05

Awh.. Piri Piri chicken is my favourite, now I won't be able to eat it without thinking of camplyobacter. (Sounds impressively serious)

Claire2301 Fri 14-Aug-09 12:28:41

Was horrific, I was signed off week for a work, including weekends at either end. Friend was off for almost two weeks. Both almost ended up in hopsital on IV. Lovely! Just horrible.

However (and people will think I am stupid) I had it in June when we went - from a completely different place! Felt physically sick when we went past the restaurant.

Have a lovely time- i'm suitably jealous!

Claire2301 Fri 14-Aug-09 12:30:54

Actually if you hire a car- we went over to the beaches on the West Coast most days. Absolutely fab. Will post names tonight if you are interested.

floaty Fri 14-Aug-09 16:01:54

oooh yes all info welcome,are the supermarkets open on a Sunday do you know

Mumwhensdinneready Fri 14-Aug-09 16:05:46

We probably won't hire a car. Did that 20 years ago when it was just me and DH, and the traffic was hair raising. Wouldn't be brave enough to take DCs in a car.
Might use buses.Definately go to a water park.

TBH the boys would hate sight seeing and having been before I'm not bothered. I have a huge supply of bookswink.
The beach in Alvor is pretty hard to beat, white sand and miles of space. 2nd best beach I've been to, the No1 being flag beach in Fuertaventura.

Mumwhensdinneready Fri 14-Aug-09 16:06:41

Have a great time floaty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now