Talk

Advanced search

hotels with toddlers - how do you manage?

(11 Posts)
muddleduck Wed 12-Aug-09 08:59:54

We usually go self-catering, but we need to make a short trip away with the boys (4 and 2) and I can't get me head around how we would manage in a hotel. I assume that we get fold away beds for them in our room, but I can't face the idea of going to bed at the same time as them.

How do you manage it?

ta smile

notyummy Wed 12-Aug-09 09:06:43

This one can ignite a conflict....some people (I have done this BTW) use a baby monitor and sneak downstairs for an hour when they are asleep. Others feel this is tantamount to neglect and go to bed at 745 with a book and a torch under the bedclothes.This might be OK for one night, but I can't see myself doing it for more than that TBH.

The other option is an interconnecting room, or a suite - depending on budget, obviously.

Horton Wed 12-Aug-09 10:00:50

I put the light off for half an hour while DD falls asleep (she's nearly three), then put it back on and order a glass of wine from room service. Agree that I wouldn't want to do it for longer than a couple of nights!

Horton Wed 12-Aug-09 10:01:50

I also keep her up a bit later than usual so she falls asleep fast (and gratefully, rather than whinging!)

kys Wed 12-Aug-09 10:32:19

My ds is 4 and we've done four 3wk hols plus about 6 wkends in hotels with him and we've not had any problems, we alternate the nights, some times we let him stay up til 9-10pm in hotel bar/restaurant and fall asleep on my lap, some nights we put him to bed at his usual time of 7pm and spend the evening on the balcony with a nice bottle of wine, if he's been really good we let him fall asleep with the portable dvd player on, hes never allowed to do this at home so he see's it as a major "hotel special treat" On the last night we always have a "bed picnic" we go to the local shop/market and buy lots of yummy stuff, lay a blanket over the bed and tuck in.
My main worry has always been how he behaves in the restaurant, i was always worrying about him annoying other paying guests. But ive never had a problem, i always take a book or activity book for him to do while waiting for his meal, last year on holiday i had an elderly couple ask me continually if he could sit with them for his meal.

Ceebee74 Wed 12-Aug-09 10:36:46

It is not something I 'enjoy' doing as it is hard but when we have done it, we have done exactly what Horton does but again, I wouldn't choose to do it for anymore than 2 nights!

Dh will go and get some drinks from the bar (i.e. a bottle of wine), we switch the lights off and put DS to bed (usually involves me lying next to him to settle him which I never do at home hmm), wait until he is asleep and then put a low light on and read/watch tv quietly/surf on the laptop and drink grin Fortunately DS is a very sound sleeper - particularly in the early evening. Again, it will usually be later than his normal bedtime.

Portofino Wed 12-Aug-09 10:39:44

Where are you going? Sometimes it's possible to find aparthotels - so you get 2 rooms....

muddleduck Wed 12-Aug-09 10:41:30

thanks for the replies.

Still really not sure what to do though grin

muddleduck Wed 12-Aug-09 13:28:09

hooray!

I found a hotel with 2 adjoining rooms grin

wasn't cheap though blush

notyummy Wed 12-Aug-09 13:33:32

Well done!It's not the cheap option, but if you can afford it (and you have to stay somewhere for more than one night), then I think its a sensible one.

muddleduck Wed 12-Aug-09 13:47:46

now I just have to tell DH that I've spent ALL of money that his work have just given him for some extra work he did last month blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now