Talk

Advanced search

DORDOGNE in august...weather, mosquitoes and campsite LA PALOMBIERE... a few questions

(7 Posts)
noonar Tue 11-Aug-09 16:36:05

hiya, havent been to the dordogne for years and not since the dds were born. i remember the weather being quite changeable, but cant remember if it was very hot. i'd like to know what clothes to pack. should i take mainly shorts and tee shirts / sun dresses with one pair of jeans/ jumper, or should i take more warm clothes?

and what about mosquitoes? are they likely to be a problem? dh and dds suffer badly when bitten, and just noted in brochure that our mobile home has no mosquito nets.

finally, if anyone knows the campsite la palombiere, can you tell me if the terrain would be suitable for my 5 and 7 yo to cycle around semi supervised. we are unlikely to do actual cycling excursions, so am trying to decide if its worth taking their bikes.

tia

noonar Tue 11-Aug-09 16:58:36

anyone?

SixtyFootDoll Tue 11-Aug-09 17:05:44

We went a few years ago - not camping
remeber it being cool and overcast in the mornings until about midday,then boiling hot all afternoon until about 9pm.
Cant remember about mossies though sorry!
Beautiful place though

4andnotout Tue 11-Aug-09 17:08:36

My parents and dd1 are in the Dordogne at the moment and it is scorching. They haven't mentioned mossies but i'd pack some avon simply soft spray oil just incase!

wahwahwah Tue 11-Aug-09 17:13:05

Loads of mozzies! Get some of the insence sticks and the lemony candles to burn if you are sitting outside. I remember fantastic electric thunderstorms at night.

Cycling is generally better in France than in the UK (drivers are more tolerant) and i have done it in the past but not with children.

Can get very hot - the weather there has been like here this year - a bit odd!

noonar Tue 11-Aug-09 17:21:27

gee thanks, everyone. sixty, i remember the grey mornings, now you come to mention it. current forecast is v hot, but is that typical? when you say 'odd' weather, is that hotter than usual?

what should i do re mosquitoes whilst in bed though? dh is like a thing possessed when he hears one buzzing. do those plug ins work?

changenameruk Tue 11-Aug-09 17:44:17

my dc are in the dordogne as we speak with my ex husband. when i asked about the weather, i was told - sat hot, sunday wet a right off and monday hot. so i don't think it is going to be cold as such but might need to think about a light weight pac a mac? for the odd rainy day. my ds also said the mornings are a bit grey but the afternoons and evenings are scorching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now