Talk

Advanced search

Am I mad to take my 8 year old and 4 year old on holiday on my own? HELP

(12 Posts)
SleepDeprived4Years Mon 10-Aug-09 22:47:58

Hiya
Haven't been on here for ages and needed some decent advice! I am on my own and want to take my DS and DD abroad for a week this month. Am a bit nervous at thought but want to do it. Am I mad? Where could I take them? Thank you!!!!

luckylady74 Mon 10-Aug-09 22:54:22

Not mad at all - you all deserve a holiday. What's your budget, what's your idea of a fun holiday?

SleepDeprived4Years Mon 10-Aug-09 23:08:42

Thanks luckylady! Not sure on budget just yet, but it won't be huge!! I'd like to go somewhere where we can spend lots of time together - playing on the beach, exploring, maybe a couple of excursions. Feel positive about going but have so many logistics flying around in my head - like - if we are out and I need to go to the toilet then I have to bring both of them with me or if I'm ill ... etc etc... Would also like somewhere that has a holiday club for them to go every so often so that I could go for a swim by myself and know they are safe. Hope that doesn't sound selfish! Thanks.

Leslaki Mon 10-Aug-09 23:14:53

We went here last year as my first holiday as a single mum and it was so fantastic we're going back!!! A friend phoned up for the 1st week in Sept and it was £365 for the week!!! The toilet on the beach is traditional and ds freaked at it so I'm taking the travel potty with me this year and will just take him into the pine woods with it!!! That was the ONLY drawback!! I wasn't the only single parent and we made loads of friends. Site does have a holiday club and mine loved being in the disney show (luckily lots of rehearsals so I got some me time to swim!!). Beach is fab,got 4 pools, great restauarnt and 5 min wallk into town. Local buses into Venice and local town with a water park. get cheap flights to Venice marco polo and then a direct bus to campsite! Dead easy! Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

SleepDeprived4Years Mon 10-Aug-09 23:21:43

Wow - just had a quick look and it looks fantastic, as does the price! Thanks for that. I'll look into it further tomorrow

changenameruk Tue 11-Aug-09 10:26:31

we go to a siblu site le lac de reves in france. fly ryan air to montpellier and taxi to site. great kids club (my went for 2 hrs in the morning so i could swim/relax. made lots of friends there as ds wore an arsenal shirt and lots of people came up and chatted as they knew we were english! Woman manager of site was fab so helpful.

SleepDeprived4Years Wed 12-Aug-09 07:50:53

Thanks for the Siblu info. I'll have to have a look at it.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 12-Aug-09 07:55:25

i have a nearly 7yo ds and a 3.5yo ds.
I haven't taken them away on my own yet, considered it this year however my mum & dad are coming with us.
ds2 is quite hard work though, v demanding.
I think next year (when they are 4 & nearly 8) I will take them on my own.

My concerns are more to do with not having any time for ds1.
Other practicalities can get sorted.

Overmydeadbody Wed 12-Aug-09 07:57:53

Of course you are not mad and you can take them!!

Think about it this way, you are in sole responsibility for them every day and presumably have been for four years at least, what difference does it make where you are? they still have the same needs as always.

kylesmybaby Wed 12-Aug-09 08:01:27

i take ds 7 abroad for two weeks every year on my own. i love having the time with him. it has defintely brought us closer x

SleepDeprived4Years Wed 12-Aug-09 22:01:48

Thanks for your comments everyone - feeling much more positive about going and will be booking something in the next day or two.
Hope you have a good hol ChasingSquirrels.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 12-Aug-09 22:29:30

you too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now