Talk

Advanced search

Flying with a toddler - what water to use?

(5 Posts)
Tangle Sun 09-Aug-09 23:37:19

Sorry for the X-post, but I've just thought of this and we fly on Tuesday, so not long to plan...

As far as we can tell, all the security blurb re. liquids now in place means we won't be able to take any significant volume of tap water with us for DD (26 mths) to drink on the plane. As its a long haul flight we're loathe to rely on the stewards coming round often enough and so would like to take a couple of litres on board with us - but we're going to have to buy it in the duty free.

Does anyone have any advice on any bottled waters we should look out for, either because they're particularly good or particularly bad. Or does anyone know what the guidelines are for mineral content of drinking water for 2 yr olds (I've seen <350mg/L of sodium for a 1 yr old, but most of the advice is for infants). Or would we be better off taking a big empty bottle and finding a drinking fountain?

thanks

LynetteScavo Sun 09-Aug-09 23:43:06

The French think nothing of making bottles up with Evian...so I would go for that.

You guys drink a lot. smile

KristinaM Sun 09-Aug-09 23:49:40

you can buy water in any of the shops once you are through security. most british airports have wh smiths or boots. you can just read the labels and get the one with the least salt

it shouldn't be a problem for just one day

Tangle Sun 09-Aug-09 23:53:00

Thanks - that's one I had in the back of my mind as better than most

I tend to go for the "pint of water available at all times" school of drinking for me, and DD seems to be following! She won't drink squash or juice, so I do want to make sure we have enough water available. Plus I'm pregnant and have been advised to drink even more than usual... I know it should be fine, but I've been on a flight that was diverted due to bad weather and then held on the tarmac for a couple of hours - and because the piece of tarmac in question was at a domestic only airport they couldn't take on extra supplies so water was getting a bit sparse. Guess its just made me a bit paranoid blush

Tangle Sun 09-Aug-09 23:57:06

sorry - x posted.

I'm sure we'll be able to buy water, I've just done the label reading thing in French supermarkets before and found it very confusing trying to work out which combination of minerals is safest (do I ignore everything apart from sodium, as I've seen calcium can be relevant as well. How about chlorides, sulphates, etc?....)

I was thinking that, at the end of the day, its not exactly long term and so I'm probably over reacting, but I figured I lost nothing by asking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now