Talk

Advanced search

Wanted to recommend Jersey as a destination with little people.......

(9 Posts)
Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Sat 08-Aug-09 19:12:43

Hello just got back today from a lovely week in Jersey with 6yo dd and 2.5 yr old ds- a nice short flight (1hr 15- 1hr 30) for flight haters and twitchy kids and a lovely island. English with a french/ abroad feel and lovely places to eat. Was told expensive but it wasnt that much different from home though some things were obviously inflated for tourists. 4 of us could eat in a nice eatery for £25-£30. Anyway nto somewhere everyone considers btu if you get the sun as we did its lovely and the beaches are as lovely as some i have been on in the caribean <many moons ago i add> . This is the first time on a plane in 7 yrs for me and first time with kids also and ok i nearly died when i saw our flybee propeller plane whih only seated 50 anyway and did need to drink wine at 10am to get over it but hey ho i survived as many do. smile

bluejeans Sat 08-Aug-09 19:31:39

I love Jersey. Did you go to the Pizza Express on the beach? I like the yellow phone boxes and different money... smile

MIAonline Sat 08-Aug-09 19:34:11

Glad you posted this, i am really keen on Jersey for next year (already thinking ahead!)

It is great to know that it is good for children.

I have a DS who is 2.5 too and wondered if there was anything to do, especially if it wasn't beach weather?

Glad you had a good time, nothing beats a lovely holiday. smile

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Sat 08-Aug-09 19:56:25

We didnt actually re: pizza express despite having a voucher for it we decided we could eat in there at home so wanted soemthing different - we liked the crab shack on st brelades front also so ate in there alot as well as somewhere in portlet and other random places but crab shack fave as is jersey ice cream - yum. I can certainly recomend our accomadation here or my brother stayed actually on st brelades front which was the best beach we could find anyway but accomadation tends to be more expensive - ours was about a 10 min drive from st brelade if that . Yes the yellow phone boxes amused me too as did the people who spoke french in petrol station then when we spoke said ok mate as clear as any other brit ha ha . Amazin (kids adventurey place with a maze made of maize) was good even on a non beach day and the zoo durell thing was ok but my ds had a radge on that day so i was just hating the zoo experience as i generally hate them though it was nicely done. Cant really think what we would have done if raining alot though there is an indoor swimming place....... It is a good island for plane spotters.... My two were happy on the beach most the time though we tended to go somehwere first thing for a mooch around the island then ds would fall asleep then hey presto he would wake up ad we would arrive at the beach then stay till tea time 4 ish then go back on till about 6.30pm as the early evenings seemed particvularly bright - god i could cry writing this i want to be back.........

I dontthink we could go for longer than 2 weeks and if weather was bad we would have nothing else left to do.... i willd efo go back but in a few years as like to go somewhere diferent - that said if we could get cheapo flights id be back in a shot. Flybee planes were not as scarey as they look - there was something reassuring about seeing the propellers going round hmm and also they were not any mroe bumpier than a jet. Go for it smile

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Sat 08-Aug-09 19:58:14

despite the website saying there is no pond they filled it in - we only discovered this after spending 2 days hunting it out and then giving up and asking the owner....still made it safer but we had shed loads of bread wed hauded!

MIAonline Sat 08-Aug-09 20:37:55

Thanks for the link and info, have bookmarked it for when I start planning. smile

It is more expensive, but I suppose for high season, where demand is high and presumably less choice on a small island, they can charge more.

You have definitely got me thinking...

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Sat 08-Aug-09 20:48:07

freedom holidays do oodles of different self caterign accomadation - the best beaches are on the coastline of st brelades and st aubins...... enjoy browsing smile

MIAonline Sun 09-Aug-09 08:16:00

Have just had a look on there, there are some lovely ones. Have bookmarked 4. Now I have to persuade DH that Jersey is a good idea.

Thanks again smile

notanidea Thu 03-Sep-09 19:32:58

thinking of jersey for a long weekend with a 8year old and 14 month old.What is the weather like? any point in going in october at all if the weather is like UK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now