Talk

Advanced search

Flying from gatwick - pay parking? Stay in a hotel?

(15 Posts)
JennyPenny22 Sat 08-Aug-09 18:16:04

Trying to work out what to do when we go away. Flights are at 10am so not bad but we have a will be 20 month old and 5 month old?

Thinking it might just be easier to pay for a hotel?

Any recommendations - just want cheap and cheerful?

LIZS Sat 08-Aug-09 18:19:45

I'd stay over , you'd need to be there by 8 latest. There are a couple of travelodges, an ibis, holiday inn within 5 mins journey and most have a minibus service.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 08-Aug-09 18:21:52

We have booked parking and a night in a hotel 3 times now and worth every penny. If you are flying from Gatwick then there are hotels attached to both terminals. You can also on a lot of flights check in the night before, we did this last time and just stuck PJ's and tooth brushes and clean underwear in an overnight bag, DS was 5 months and DD 2.8 months. We booked it through FHR.com

snickersnack Sat 08-Aug-09 18:44:06

The other option is valet parking - great with children, you ring from 10 mind away and they pick up your car outside the terminal. Brilliant but avoid Maple Meet & Greet like the plague - they didn't meet or greet us!

JennyPenny22 Sun 09-Aug-09 14:23:47

Every thing just seems so expensive!

mosschops30 Sun 09-Aug-09 14:25:38

when are you going and for how long? Oh and how far is LGW from your house?

We stayed over a few times, but live 3 hours away so is different.
Its always cheaper to stay over and park, rather than just to park, as your parking is normally included with your stay.

Holiday Extras are the best to look at for good deals

Horton Sun 09-Aug-09 15:14:42

We stayed at Sofitel and thought it was great. It was five minutes walk from the North Terminal and if you book parking as part of the deal, they collect your car from in front of the hotel and take it away then bring it back when you land a couple of weeks later. Really trouble-free and good value - think we got a room for two adults and a nearly three year old for about £65 on lastminute.com.

squilly Sun 09-Aug-09 15:21:16

We've stayed over before now, but not got much sleep. Doors slamming at all hours, people making noise in their rooms. Not very conducive to sleep.

Recently we've started to drive over on the day. More tiring? Possibly, but being wound up by noise in a hotel I've paid for is not more restful ime.

If you get the right hotel, though, I'd imagine it could work very well.

JennyPenny22 Sun 09-Aug-09 17:14:44

We are only about an hour away from gatwick, so maybe just easier to drive on the day - altough parking is still a lot!

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 10-Aug-09 17:57:20

If you arejustover an hour would it be cheaper to get a taxi who does airport runs to drop you off. From Dorset to Gatwick we were charged £85

LadyMuck Mon 10-Aug-09 18:01:37

I'd phone your local minicab company and ask for a quote - you may be surprised at how reasonable some of the airport runs are. I usually find that if we are away for more than 7 nights then a mincab is cheapest.

If money is no object then you can book valet parking and drop your car at the door. We did this with tinies. Or if you book in advance then the shortterm carpark at each terminal is discounted (still not cheap mind). Again you are at the terminal so no bus to catch etc.

Leslaki Mon 10-Aug-09 22:44:50

Snickersnack - I was just about to recommend maple Manor!! they were fab last year - even fixed my dodgy remote locking thingy on my key for me for free!! I phoned them this year but they don't do heathrow but tey all had a chat in the office and recommended people to me. I thought they were fab!

DadInsteadofMum Tue 11-Aug-09 10:25:22

WHen we used maple manor the car was returned with all the windows open (in December) the front foot wells were soaking wet and all the radio stations had been reprogrammed. Wouldn't recommend them.

willali Wed 12-Aug-09 13:07:24

DONT do the hotel thing - too hot, too noisy, way too expensive food.....just get up early!! Another vote for valet parking (which if you book ahead early enough on the BAA website is not actually that much more than long term car parks with the dreaded buses)- once you go valet you will never go back beleive me!!

JennyPenny22 Fri 14-Aug-09 13:20:42

We are going to drive on the day I think.
Its £50 each way to get a cab - not worth it and was cheaper to stay in hotel!
My mum might be able to drive us if she can fit us all in her car or if she can find the nerves to drive my 7 seater!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now