Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

UV Suits and Sunglasses

(8 Posts)
kikidee Tue 24-May-05 22:35:42

We are going to Portugal in two weeks with our 2 year old DS. I've got him a couple of pairs of swim shorts but I'm now wondering whether I should have got him UV suits. If I cover him with a T-shirt when he's out of the water, would there really be any advantage to a UV suit? I think I might be missing the point of these suits so I would be grateful if anyone can be bothered to enlighten me.

Also, are sunglasses a realistic proposition for a 13 month old and can anyone tell me where I might get some. I thought of Boots but haven't checked yet.

Thanks!

LIZS Wed 25-May-05 09:18:42

Some t-shirts don't really protect against the sun and he could still get burnt through it but you can buy special cotton ones which have a closer weave and UV protection or just the top of a set like here . You may struggle to get him to keep sunglasses on, a cord might help or wrap around ones, but a cap with a large peak may be an easier option.

elliedragon Wed 25-May-05 09:23:27

I have just come back from Portugal, it was brilliant. It was hot and i did have UV suits for them when they were in the swimming pool - that was the only time they wore them. I made sure that they had t shirts on at all times, factor 50 sun cream and caps with the material down the back (cant remember what they were called). Mine did wear the sunglasses and quite liked it. I got the glasses from next and the uv suits from next and M&S. I wish I was going back there, it is such a shock to come back to this weather.

kikidee Wed 25-May-05 09:25:18

Thanks LizS. That's a good link. I think I'll get a couple of UV T shirts to go with his swim shorts.

Fran1 Wed 25-May-05 09:26:03

My dd has always liked wearing sunglasses when its bright and we're in the car. Yes at 13 mths it may be tricky to keep them on, but worth buying pair. You will probably find some at the airport.

Those UV suits are good except - If your ds is still in nappies its a pain, cos each time you come out of the water you have to peel off the suit to change nappy, then the suit has gone all cold and yuck so you need a complete change of clothes!!

My dd spent most of her time on holiday in just ordinary t-shirts and she still has the white marks to prove that no sun got through!

eidsvold Sat 28-May-05 10:24:33

sunglasses - we found some called baby banz - you can get them from selected optometrists - designed in australia to very strict standards with lycra wrap strap to keep them in place - strap is adjustable. Just do a search for baby banz and they will tell you where you can get them.

dd1 and now dd2 both have uv shirts/sets - brilliant - less area to sunscreen and lots more covered and protected.

Hulababy Sat 28-May-05 10:28:30

If your little one is still in nappies definitely go for a two piece suit, not an all in one. Makes it much easier for nappy changes. TBH, I think they are easier even with toddlers/young children - for when they need to go to the toilet.

And don't be tempted by some of the cheaper UV suits (supermarkets, etc) as many are not proper UV suits at all, and no betteer than a standard swimsuit.

Hulababy Sat 28-May-05 11:02:51

I habe just ordered a pair of the Kidz Bandz sunglasses from The Kids Window - 10% discount via the MN link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now