Advanced search

Come and give me your packing tips!

(16 Posts)
itchyandscratchy Tue 04-Aug-09 21:40:50

Two adults, two children
Two big cases: one suitcase, one hold-all
Four cabin bags.

Me and dd2 are sharing the suitcase.
The only thing I've thought of already is that in the dcs' cabin bags I'll pack spare set of clothes for them, snacks, colouring stuff and pens... er what else?

and does the 'rolling' thing work with clothes in cases, as opposed to folding?

dietqueen Tue 04-Aug-09 22:03:14

I always roll! Also spread the clothes out incase god forbid one case goes missing.

itchyandscratchy Tue 04-Aug-09 22:48:22

ooo didn't think of that. Will put a few things of mine in dh's case then. Thanks

any more please? grin

Mybox Tue 04-Aug-09 22:50:10

Put everything you're taking out and then only pack half of it - you wont need it all.

janeite Tue 04-Aug-09 22:55:27

Do you really need a cabin bag each? We are taking one for dp and I to share and one for the dcs to share - less to lug around then.

Have you remembered sweets to suck on take off? Wet wipes?

cat64 Tue 04-Aug-09 23:00:59

Message withdrawn

mananny Tue 04-Aug-09 23:06:13

Change of clothes each and a basic airline regulation sized washkit in your handluggage. In the checked luggage 5 changes of clothes each plus 2 swimsuits each and any essential medications. You'll live by the pool and it's easy to handwash and dry stuff overnight, plus you can but toothpaste etc when you get there. Keep it easy and simple: it's a holiday after all

cat64 Wed 05-Aug-09 10:10:24

Message withdrawn

janeite Wed 05-Aug-09 12:58:33

I take a small bottle of handwash stuff - less suspicious than white powder!

I think deodrant can go in the hold.

Medicines okay but I think need to be labelled and in a resealable plastic bag.

this should help

CMOTdibbler Wed 05-Aug-09 13:03:26

Aerosols are OK in checked luggage. Only tiny ones as part of your single, clear, small plastic bag of liquids/creams/gels of no more than 100ml in your hand luggage.

Non prescriptions all OK in checked luggage, liquids in hand luggage in your plastic bag quota.

Prescribed medicine OK anywhere as long as it has it's label on.

Bag of washing powder no problem

cat64 Wed 05-Aug-09 14:08:26

Message withdrawn

itchyandscratchy Wed 05-Aug-09 21:23:58

Thanks.

I know wot you mean about the cabin bags but I decided that the dcs were old enough to look after their own gubbins, e.g. colouring pens and books and snacks for the journey, etc. I didn't want all their crap in my bag (because magically that's what would happen instead of using dh's as well hmm)

good tip about toothbrushes.

WElizabeth Fri 21-Aug-09 08:39:13

For packing tips from experts visit www.storagedeluxe.com/packing-tips.asp.

dailymailIsPerfectAsaPoopScoop Fri 21-Aug-09 08:51:29

roll your clothes.

We are taking 2 hold bags and 3 hand luggage. for a family of 5 for a week.

janinlondon Fri 21-Aug-09 15:57:03

All aerosols (tiny sizes that make you think they are ideal for carry on) in carry on luggage were being confiscated at the airport when we went through two weeks ago. Flammable.

ConstantlyCooking Fri 21-Aug-09 16:20:09

When you write your basic "to pack" list do it on the PC and then you have it for next year as a starting point. I now have a self-catering foreign holiday; summer hol in hotel; and winter ski hol lists in excel. At the end of each hol I write notes or add items that would be useful/delete those that were unnecessary ready for the next year.

Ask on the plane if they have any free stuff for children - quite a few do little colouring books etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now