Talk

Advanced search

long journey for 6wk baby

(5 Posts)
appletiser Tue 04-Aug-09 19:56:28

whilst i was in the waiting room at the hospital waiting for my 6wk postnatal check i saw an "ad" on the tv they had on the hospital tv saying that you should avoid using car seat for long in new babies - especially for journeys over 2hrs... i forgot to ask the midwife about this when i went in - but now am quie concerned as we are planning a trip to london this weekend - it will be a day trip..about 100miles to london so now i dont know what to do am considering not going.. any advise or experiences?

moondog Tue 04-Aug-09 19:58:06

It will be fine, really. smile
I thought you were going to ask about a long overseas trip.
Go and have fun.

FlappyTheBat Tue 04-Aug-09 20:05:14

Go and it will be absolutely fine. The recommendation is 2 hours max at a time and that should pretty much get you to London.

We commuted on a regular basis from when dd1 was about 4 weeks old from London to home, almost 5 hundred miles.

All we did was stop every couple of hours, for about half an hour and let her lie flat.

Then we discovered that we could get straps and car safety kit for our carrycot that held both it and dd1 completely secure, so we used that for traveling. Rospa don't, I suppose, approve of this but the safety kit was designed for european use and had all the safety testing done/marks.

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 04-Aug-09 20:05:25

We had this worry with DD1, we went to the seaside when she was 4 weeks. The drive was 3 hours and we took a break on the way to feed/change/let her have a wriggle etc. It was fine.

This time we went to the same place with DD2 when she was 3 weeks and managed the whole lot in one go - not so worried second time round!

You should definitely go, many many people leave their babies in carseats for much longer for various reasons. Honestly this trip will do no harm at all, but if you are worried stopping for a nappy/feed/stretch might make you feel better smile

appletiser Tue 04-Aug-09 23:18:20

thanks this has relly put my mind at ease...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now