Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to pack for Haven?

(15 Posts)
randomtask Tue 04-Aug-09 12:20:19

I'm going to a Haven with DH and DSS (aged 8). We're trying not to spend too much money as DH won't be paid til the end of September and we're in the middle of buying a house....

My ideas for bad weather are we're going to take cheap 'canvas board' with us and DSS's paints so we can paint something if we're unable to go out. We're also going to get DSS to cook us dinner one night (which he'll love). I think we'll also take a 'lego kit' and obviously books. We've signed up to the Haven 'experience' in the hope that with swimming, bowling etc, we should only need to visit a max of one paying place (£20-30 for all of us) a day.

For food, we're planning on picnicking, eating at the static caravan and having one meal out (which I've printed off a buy one get one free voucher for). I reckon we need to take salt, sugar, tea, coffee, milk shake powder, squash, ketchup, a little rice, a little pasta and probably olive oil with us. We don't have a big kitchen at home so don't want 'doubles' unless it's things we'll use quickly.

Any ideas on what else we'll need to take? Any ideas on other 'rainy day' cheap activities for one child?

Thank you!

TotalChaos Tue 04-Aug-09 19:35:18

take your own toilet roll, kitchen roll, washing liquid and washing up brush. haven usually has a free soft play section somewhere in the main entertainment centre, which can come in useful.

Uriel Tue 04-Aug-09 19:40:01

We went to Haven last year and stayed in one of the chalets. First time we'd done it and it was very enjoyable.

The only thing that bothered me was that the bedding was a bit on the thin side. Probably that'll be completely different for you in a caravan, but I thought I'd mention it.

randomtask Wed 05-Aug-09 10:35:51

Worth knowing about the bedding. We're hiring the caravan from an individual not Haven so I'm hoping it'll be better but I'll ask if we need to take any....

Good point about loo roll, kitchen roll and definitely washing up stuff.

They seem to have loads for DSS to do, so hopefully it'll be okay and cheap [fingers crossed].

Notalone Wed 05-Aug-09 10:42:49

Which Haven are you going to? I have been to Primrose Valley and Lydstep so could advise you on these if you are going to one. Some caravans have DVD players so maybe bring some of your own or hire a couple from your local library in case of rain. Many Haven places are next to a beach so an hour or so can still be spent there even if it rains. We also bring bread, eggs, salt and pepper, vinegar, a scourer and other general grocery type stuff. Also, don't forget your own bed linen and towels and maybe an extra blanket or duvet. Uriel is right - duvets can be very thin.

I will post anything else I think of when I think of it - brain is not engaged today!

randomtask Wed 05-Aug-09 11:16:13

Thank you!

We're going to Littlesea in Weymouth. It's by the beach and they have indoor swimming pools, kids clubs, soft play, events etc. Just want to make sure we don't get bored of what's there....

Will definitely check with the owner about bed linen. I know they have a dvd player and possibly a playstation too but DSS isn't one of those children who watches much tv-that's more us in the evenings once he's asleep!!

Notalone Wed 05-Aug-09 17:39:00

I think I have heard good things about this site so should be ok. At the end of the day it is what you make of it. I always think as long as the caravan is clean then it doesn't matter if it is basic. However some caravans are stunning - the one we had in Lydstep had an ensuite bathroom, 2 toilets, verandah and was almost nicer than our house.

Most sites will have outdoor playgrounds, indoor softplay, a swimming pool and amusements area (avoid amusements like the plague though - they cost a fortune). Many also have kids clubs and activities such as crazy golf, archery etc. Yes some sites can be a bit chavtastic but my Ds loved the whole thing which meant I also enjoyed it too (he turns 8 on Monday so a similar age to your DS). DS's best thing to do was to go rock climbing on the beach and to fish around in rock pools with a net which you can by quite cheaply. I don't think you will get bored so don't worry. When do you go?

Notalone Wed 05-Aug-09 17:39:38

buy not by hmm blush

ConstantlyCooking Thu 06-Aug-09 08:12:33

Take some cleaning cloths and tea towels as these can be expensive at the shop.
For wet days what about a scrap book - he can stick in leaves/pics from free leaflets, draw pictures of you on days out, write the odd diary entry or comment about something.

GeeWhizz Thu 06-Aug-09 08:30:19

Take matches for cooker/fire sometimes the ignitions might not work in caravans.

randomtask Fri 07-Aug-09 09:40:11

Ooo good point about matches and tea towels. We plan on finding a local supermarket and not using their shop.... He's got to do a diary for school so that'll be a rainy day activity.

We go at the end of the month. Our caravan has en suite, two toilets, veranda, etc as it's privately owned so a lot nicer than some of the Haven ones. I've looked into activities and there are loads, just have to hope DS is brave enough to have a go....

I don't have an issue with chavtastic as long as it's only for a week it'll be fun!!

Notalone Sat 08-Aug-09 00:07:38

Well it sounds like you are going with the right attitude so you will have a fab time. smile

One more thing I forgot to mention is that some sites negotiate discounts on off site attractions on behalf of their guests. When we went to Primrose Valley when we booked and paid at the site we got quite a big discount off the Sea Life Centre there. Maybe Littlesea will do the same?

Tidey Sat 08-Aug-09 00:10:38

Did anyone else read the title as 'What should I pack for Heaven?' It alarmed me somewhat.

Have a lovely holiday anyway, sorry that wasn't helpful.

shinyshoes Sat 08-Aug-09 00:16:02

What should you pack for Haven??

Your sanity and anything food wise you like. otherwise it's burgers and chips, nuggets and chips, chips with chips, chips with chips with a side of chips.

More concrete than your biggest council estate.

Litter, loud children, louder parents, beer, J20's a plenty or frootshoots (MN favesgrin) those bloody machines that shit out tickets, collect 30000 and you might get a lighter.

Swimming pools that have more hair on the floor than a Yeti can moult.

shinyshoes Sat 08-Aug-09 00:20:43

Sorry Random am being a prick.

DP's fault grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now