Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What can I do in London with a 4 year old and a 1 year old tomorrow - suggestions please!

(26 Posts)
cadbury Tue 24-May-05 16:02:36

We are coming from Medway by train and will want to meet dh for lunch near Waterloo.
I need suggestions for what we can do either before (if I can get our collective ar$es in gear to get there in pleanty of time) or after lunch, that doesn't involve too much tube travel (will have buggy) or too much expense (as ever )

Thankyou in advance,
Cadders

cadbury Tue 24-May-05 16:30:02

bump - any ideas?

Flum Tue 24-May-05 16:31:52

Go to the Tate Modern Art Gallery. its free and its near Waterloo.

Alternatively : London Eye also by Waterloo - expensive though

Alternatively: London Sealife centre (or whatever its called - just up from London Eye - four year old probably like that.

Flum Tue 24-May-05 16:32:38

Tate Modern best/cheapest bet - loads of running about room and random art to discuss.

TrophyWife Tue 24-May-05 16:33:05

i know that the science museum has free entry and the lower level where they have all the fun stuff is really good for 4 yr old, dont know about 1 yr old though..HTH

dinosaur Tue 24-May-05 16:33:51

London Aquarium - very near Waterloo, and DS1 and DS2 both loved it even when very tiny.

Twiglett Tue 24-May-05 16:35:35

Waterloo?

Do the London Eye, the Aquarium (quite pricey for adults but under 3s free)

Tate Modern is ok but is full of modern art that look like a'level angst gone wrong - some nice pieces there though (went today with my 4 year old and 1 year old)

take a riverboat

motherpeculiar Tue 24-May-05 16:35:54

aquarium just beyond the london eye is fab. expensive tho i think, altho 1 yr old should be free.

otherwise agree that tate modern is good, and you can walk to it along the river bank from waterloo, i don't think ther are any steps if you start from outside the rfh

have fun

bossykate Tue 24-May-05 16:36:04

i agree, i think that is your best bet to satisfy both of them, followed by a trip on the london eye. you can also pick up a thames boat by the eye - go down to tower bridge and back. or if you are feeling energetic you could walk over the bridge to somerset house and play in the fountains.

Twiglett Tue 24-May-05 16:36:45

you can get a riverboat between the Tates if you like galleries

science museum is fab,but not easy to get to from waterloo

bossykate Tue 24-May-05 16:36:45

i mean the aquarium is your best bet etc...

cadbury Tue 24-May-05 16:53:44

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

TBH the London eye would be out as I suffer from terrible virtigo - they'd have to carry me out in a bucket

I'll look into the aquarium.
We went to the Tate modern before and I'd love to go again.

I looked into the river cruises but they tend to be a couple of hours both ways. Will think about them some more though.

Thanks everyone. Keep 'em coming

Copper Tue 24-May-05 16:59:36

Cadbury
Wlaking form Waterloo to teh Tate Modern is quite a way for four year old, but lots to see and its interesting. Lots of ice cream vendors too! If you walk up past the Tate Britain eastwards, make sure you look at the wrought iron gates to the Globe. They are full of little animals, lots of fun to spot them all. There are river ferries as well, you can go from the pier by the Globe back to Waterloo - a bit pricey but not too long and very exciting - bit of a rest as well.

Bramshott Tue 24-May-05 17:36:17

We always go and have lunch at the Royal Festival Hall (large, enclosed open spaces for running - often free daytime jazz performances etc), over to the river to look at Big Ben, and then off to the swings which are just by the London Eye.

stripey Tue 24-May-05 20:41:22

Not walking distance but you may be able to get a bus- we often take them to Hamleys the 'Worlds greatest Toy Store'. They have a small cafe on the top floor and it is free to look and play with all of the toys. Its on Regent St (btwn Picadilly Circus and Oxford St tube stations).

Aero Tue 24-May-05 20:51:04

How about walking down to see Buckingham Palace and the guards etc. Ther's also a lovely park nearby (St James park I think???) where there is (or was last time I was there many years ago) a nice play area. You could just chill a bit and it'd cost you nothing. Walk back up towards Charing Cross and have lunch in Pizza Express which is just across the road. There's also the national gallery there which is free.

Aero Tue 24-May-05 20:52:42

ps - you feeling very brave then Cadders!? I've taken all three to meet dh for lunch and we went to the national gallery just for an hour or so - even dd liked it!!

foolysh Tue 24-May-05 20:54:40

Can I piggyback a question... would I be mad to take a pushchair (MacLaren umbrella folding) on the Central line? I have to take my 1yo & 5yo to US Embassy on 1 July... 1yo doesn't sleep in baby backpack so I really want to take the pushchair, but there's the tube to negotiate!

we were thinking to make a weekend trip of it, but DH & I decided that London doesn't have anything to offer children we can't do more cheaply & easily nearer to home!

lilibet Tue 24-May-05 20:59:33

Can I hijack for a moment with a quick question? Please??

Which Tate are the Rothkos in? Tate Modern or Tate Britain?

Ta!

hoxtonchick Tue 24-May-05 21:01:48

to answer the hijackers:
foolysh, i think you'll be fine, people have always offered to help me with a buggy on the tube, specially where there are steps. no lifts though, & i guess it'll be harder with your 5 year old too. have you thought about taking a bus? the us embassy is just off oxford st, where are you coming from?

lilibet - tate modern has the rothkos. a whole lovely room of them.

nikkisherri Tue 24-May-05 21:03:59

London Aquariam? Boat on the Thames ? Science Museum ?

Furball Tue 24-May-05 21:22:47

If you're going by train check out These 2 for 1 deals (includes loads of popular places including the aquarium) and also the London free list of free things to do. - Hope you read this in time!

foolysh Tue 24-May-05 21:24:02

I am coming from Liverpool St., staying in a hotel the night before near Marble Arch. I suppose I would take the bus happily, but won't it take a lifetime on the bus? Am arriving into London around 6-7pm. Checking times now, actually). Maybe I'll try the traveline...

hoxtonchick Tue 24-May-05 21:26:28

well l'pool st to marble arch is very straightforward on the tube, no changes. on a bus it would probably take about 45 minutes. and i'm not sure 1 bus would go all the way, you might have to change once you got to oxford st. maybe stick with the tube.

foolysh Tue 24-May-05 21:33:10

That's what I thought, Hoxton, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now