Talk

Advanced search

Chlorine stains from the pool?

(3 Posts)
DeadTall Sat 01-Aug-09 16:49:15

We've just got back from a lovely week away, which was only spoilt by the green stains we have all suffered after swimming in our villa's pool.

DD's blond hair is green, DS's skin is green, all of our costumes (mostly brand new) are green and some are completely ruined with the elastic worn out. What on earth was in that water? Is it chlorine or something else? And how do I get the stains out of the one remaining costume which is otherwise wearable, without ruining it?!

DD also has awful earache in both ears - is this a result of the chlorine or is it a coincidence?

PestoPrideMonster Sat 01-Aug-09 17:42:08

The costumes will be ruined. We had this after a fortnight in a Grenadian swimming pool. I went to the hairdresser to get my hair sorted out, but she said the way to neutralise it (should it happen again on another holiday) would be to wash it in tomato ketchup shock We threw all our cozzies away as the strength of the chlorine had rotted them and you couldn't keep them.

The ear infection will no doubt be swimming pool water in the ears. You should take her to see the doctor and explain. Again, we've had this with DH, me and both DDs on various holidays. DH will now only swim in the sea for this very reason and I've warned the DDs not to do too much swimming with their heads under water in the future.

DeadTall Sun 02-Aug-09 22:04:27

I've read about the ketchup cure for green hair - DH's hair definitely has a green tint. I'm sure she'll be delighted with a ketchup shampoo, once the ear infection's cleared up...

We're off to the doctor's tomorrow, having dosed poor DH up with Calpol & Calprofen all weekend. I'm thinking of investing in one of those swimming headbands for her, but I'm not sure she'll wear it.

And the cozzies are in the bin angry. I'm going to let the villa owner know about the problem as it's not really acceptable - our local council run pool doesn't rot our cozzies (but maybe the water's full of germs and nasties instead!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now