Talk

Advanced search

Passport in Maiden name? Help!

(13 Posts)
NickyPickyLicky Thu 30-Jul-09 14:49:12

We are going away in a few weeks. When we booked. Both my Sister and SIL said it was fine to use my old passport (ie in maiden name - still plenty in date) as long as I booked the ticket in my maiden name too. To avoid buying a new passport.

When it just came up in conversation my mum went mad and said I can't do that!

What is the answer to this one? Don't want to pay £70 odd to replace the passport really but also don't want to get stuck at the airport and not be able to go away?

Tried looking through the passport info but it just says that if you need to change the name you have to pay the full passport price.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 30-Jul-09 14:50:50

You are fine with old passport.

raspberrytart Thu 30-Jul-09 14:51:47

This happened to me last year as I had a few years on my passport left to run-dont worry, as long as the name on the passport and the name on the tickets are the same then you will be ok.

heavenstobetsy Thu 30-Jul-09 14:53:08

if the trip is booked in your maiden name then its fine - its only if the flight is in your married name and the passport in your madien name that you'll have a problem.

Its not the law that you have to change your name when you get married!

Swedes Thu 30-Jul-09 14:53:39

I've never changed my name in my passport. I carry a copy of my marriage certificate inside my passport as well.

alypaly Thu 30-Jul-09 14:54:00

The passport ofice add whats left in years on to your new one when they renew it and if you fast track it at the post office it comes back in 7 days

NickyPickyLicky Thu 30-Jul-09 14:57:21

Oh Alypaly - I didn't know that about it being added on in years! Thats not so bad! Wish I had known that before I booked the tickets!

alypaly Thu 30-Jul-09 15:05:57

Just did my sons as he went to france in feb and they put the 5 months on that was left on the old one so financially u dont loose out long term

SoupDragon Thu 30-Jul-09 15:08:53

They only put on up to 9 months of unexpired time onto a new passport.

NickyPickyLicky Thu 30-Jul-09 17:22:09

Oh. I have years left of mine.

So to sum up though - everybody agrees it is fine to leave it all as it is? So everything in my maiden name?

DeathbyDora Thu 30-Jul-09 17:31:12

Yup, just got back from the States last week travelling under my maiden name. All fine. Just make sure any tickets/reservations are in your maiden name too.

Nefret Fri 31-Jul-09 11:01:11

I travelled with my old passport several times. As people have said, as long as
your passport and ticket are in the same name there is no problem.

When you do change your passport you will only get 9 months added on even if you have several years left on the old one.

lal123 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:14:24

DOn't change your passport if the booking is in your maiden name. The name on passport HAS to match booking name - so if you change your passport you'll also have to change your booking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now