Talk

Advanced search

London to Snowdonia by train???

(14 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Wed 29-Jul-09 18:08:07

I have found myself having to be in London, near Heathrow airport, on a Friday afternoon when I am supposed to be spending the weekend in Snowdonia (near Beddgelert).So I can either travel home on the Friday night and drive over separately to join my family on the Saturday morning, else find a way of getting close to Beddgelert by train so I can be picked up. Before I embark on hours of internet research, I wondered if anyone had any ideas? Would be starting at Feltham station, going in to central London an option but not ideal. Thanks

Tinker Wed 29-Jul-09 18:15:32

Wouldn't you get a train to Holyhead and then change at Llandudno Junction for Betwys Y Coed? Maybe?

You need to get a train to Caernarfon.

Then you can take the steam train to Beddgelert.

www.welshhighlandrailway.net/index.asp

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 29-Jul-09 18:25:24

try this. think the nearest station would be betws-y-coed

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 29-Jul-09 18:26:49

blimey 7 hours and 5 changes!

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 29-Jul-09 18:27:34

or if you go at 14.46 5 hours and only 3 changes.

Caernofon doesn't have a main railiway train station by the look of it so Bangor would be the nearest. Then bus from Bangor into Lanberis maybe? Or bus from Bangor to Caernarfon

Feltham to Bangor is 4 hours and 2 changes.

Buses from Bangor don't seem to run in the evening.

www.gwynedd.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/998/2122_June09_Arriva1.pdf

This bus better.

[http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/988/08586_May091.pdf]]

www.gwynedd.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/988/08586_May091.pdf

lilolilmanchester Wed 29-Jul-09 23:12:44

wow, thanks everyone! Will take a good look at your suggestions, but at first glance, it might be a non-starter as I won't be able to leave London til 5 at the earliest. Might think about driving. It's not for a couple of months yet, but need to start weighing up my options as I have to make some other arrangements round it. Thanks again, you wonderful people!

HowlingCow Thu 30-Jul-09 20:49:54

My aunt and uncle have a holiday cottage near Beddgelert-Rhyd Ddu-you're not staying there are you?

lilolilmanchester Thu 30-Jul-09 23:12:58

no HowlingCow, youth hostel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now