Talk

Advanced search

Flying with very fidgety 1 year old ADVICE PLEASE

(25 Posts)
JPM Sun 22-May-05 22:08:37

I know it sounds exreme, but does anyone know of anything I could give her to sedate her a little? The flight's only 2 hours but she's going to be a nightmare she doesn't keep still for a second!!

Chuffed Mon 23-May-05 10:05:29

we have one of those and the worst part of flying is the bit where they have to be strapped in and can't move.
We have found books, songs like round and round the garden, the wheels on the bus etc with actions help pass the time until you can walk laps of the plane for the next wee while.
Never tried to sedate.

koalabear Mon 23-May-05 10:13:50

i'm with chuffed - i would try not to sedate (certainly not for a short time like two hours) -

DS is 13 months and has been on 13 flights ... we have found books to be good and also, a healthy sense of humour - make sure you ask for the bulk head seats (as they give more room for getting up and down). We ask for a blanket and then our son can wriggle on a rug on the floor at our feet - we also take a few of his favourite toys, like rattles, blocks, balls - whatever the going toy of the moment is (and a few little surprises) - snacks are good too - raisons, fruit

i saw one couple take a lap top computer and put on a DVD, but that was for a 2 year old - I doubt our son would sit through that, but depending on your daughter, it might be worth a try

Merlot Mon 23-May-05 11:25:58

Calpol or Medised? But you might find that your dd surprises you - it is a short flight and there will be so much to watch and see.

JPM Mon 23-May-05 23:59:59

Thanks everyone. Koalabear i'm intrigued?? 13 flights in 13 months??

koalabear Tue 24-May-05 09:14:18

13 flights because live in england, family in australia, work in and out of Europe and Africa, and went to holiday this year in Cyprus - I didn't realise how many flights he had been on until I actually sat down and added them all up - have to say, he's been a star - just very energetic - I think it is all about being prepared, and knowing that the days of sitting back with a glass of cheap wine and watching the movie are O.V.E.R.

Chuffed Tue 24-May-05 09:43:08

koalabear we're on 20 for 13mths for similar reasons. Very jiggly but you just do what you have to do.

koalabear Tue 24-May-05 09:48:15

20 flights - wow - that's incredible

what's your top tip for travelling with small critters (if you had to choose just one)?

my top tip would have to be .... laugh a lot out loud OFTEN

Chuffed Tue 24-May-05 10:17:38

similar in try to have some fun, it relaxes you and people around you.
Always take some of your own food at least 5 of those flights had nothing for our dd on them so at least we had our own.

bumptobabies Tue 24-May-05 10:26:32

just come back from turkey with 19mth ds i found a sketch o graph,finger puppets and the plastic cups that come with the on flight meal the most favoured.we also let ds walk around in the airport so he would tire for the journey.hope that helps.

moondog Tue 24-May-05 10:28:03

This will sound very schoolgirlish but I've done even more than you two! Probably 35 over the last year. My oldest is 4 and the youngest is 10 months. You can try each and every one of these tips but the real truth????

Grin and bear it.

robin3 Tue 24-May-05 10:30:06

JPM....agree with what's been said. Have flown with DS and was dreading the first time as DS never sits still but if they can see down the aisle they will be kept amused by the air stewards and the serving on refreshments etc.

ghosty Tue 24-May-05 10:31:56

That is what I say moondog ...
Next month I am travelling from NZ to the UK with DS (5) and DD (16 months) on my own with just a 2 hour stopover in Singapore ... that is two 12 hour flights back to back!!!
All I can do is get on with it ... I will get there in the end and every minute is a minute closer to my parents

moondog Tue 24-May-05 10:34:12

f* me ghosty.
That is going to be soooooooo grim!!

(Next time I'm having a terrible time with them on a plane,I swear I will think of you and smile..just a little!)

Your parents need to be standing by with a stretcher and intravenous alcohol at the ready.

ghosty Tue 24-May-05 10:41:47

Knowing my dad he'll have a hipflask for me at heathrow (at 6am!!!! )
I know it will be grim ... DS will be fine on the plane (screens on back of seats, nintendo etc on Singapore Airlines ... nice food etc etc) ...
DD is going to be the challenge ...
I feel sick just thinking about it [vomitty emoticon]!

Hausfrau Tue 24-May-05 10:45:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moondog Tue 24-May-05 10:45:50

Actually, I'm sure people will be very kind and understanding. Do you know that some flights (can't remember which airline) now have nannies. Sounds fantastic.
My 4 year old is fine too actually,has been since she was about 3.

lol at the hipflask. Dh and I always titter at Manchester airport at all the people sitting in the bar having a pint and a fag at about 7:30 am.
The mentality is 'I'm on holiday and I don't care what time it is,I'm going to get pissed!'

moondog Tue 24-May-05 10:46:56

Yes hausfrau. That emergency card is surprisingly versatile...!

ghosty Tue 24-May-05 10:49:00

LOL moondog @ holiday makers drinking pints in the early morning! Why DO they do that??

Lonelymum Tue 24-May-05 10:55:17

I can't compete with you jet setters, but dh and I once took our (then) three children to Oz and back (7 flights in all). Our dd was 2 actually on the outbound flight and was (and still is) a very fidgetty girl. I have to say though, that the only trouble arose when the various flights we were on came in to land and she was supposed to sit on my lap and be strapped in. That was very difficult to achieve and I nearly shouted as the cabin crew who were most insistent on her doing what they told her to. The rest of the time, as Merlot suggested, there was so much going on and so much to see, she was fine. Also, on such a long flight, the adults nearby got upgraded rather than be near a 2 yo (!) so she had three seats to spread out and sleep on! That won't be an issue for you.

MoggyMummy Tue 24-May-05 10:58:29

I wouldn't sedate for such a short journey. The main thing is for you to relax and go with the flow. A two hour flight will be over before you know it so I wouldn't worry.

DS (2.7) has flown around 20 times now - most of those flights have been transatlantic and i acutally found that i had more problem when i used something to sedate that not. Just be prepared to entertain them - be well rested before you go so you have enough energy to play.

JPM Tue 24-May-05 23:08:09

Oh, you all make me sound like a wimp now

hazlinh Wed 25-May-05 07:01:57

moon dog, which airlines have nanies??????? I DEMAND TO KNOW!
lol

ghosty...my heart goes out to ya...

i love to travel...but dd is such a fidgety /screeching (read: pain in the a*) handful even on ground..so am postponing travel plans until she is at least 5 or 7!! lol

FIMAC1 Wed 25-May-05 07:51:04

Phenagan (sp) is a mild sedative but don't think you are going to need it for a two hour flight - my dd flew regularly between the US and UK for the first 18 months of her life and was totally fine - try wrapping a few small toys (crayons etc )to let her open at regular intervals in the journey would help, plus some new books and small activities to do with her - Wilkinson have lots of cheap kids activity things

kid Wed 25-May-05 08:00:46

My sister is off to the Dominican Republic on Saunday with her kids (11, 8 and 18 months) She is dreading the flight (9 hours) I have taken DS and DD on a 2 1/2 hour flight when they were 16 months and 4 years old and that was hard work.

We kept feeding them little snacks and passed them between the adults we travelled with, there were 4 of us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now