Talk

Advanced search

Hand luggage - does your handbag count?

(10 Posts)
Feenie Sat 25-Jul-09 20:53:08

So, if I want to take my handbag, do I have to put it inside my hand luggage?

hf128219 Sat 25-Jul-09 20:53:45

Yes you do.

mumofmaniacs Sat 25-Jul-09 20:55:00

Ryan Air - yes. But they are bar stewards!

Hand luggage counts up to 10kg though so you can quite easily pop a handbag inside something massive else

geordieminx Sat 25-Jul-09 20:55:57

You used to be able to take handbag and hand luggage, but my sister just got back from Prague this morning with Easyjet, she had hand bag and hand luggage, they charged her an extra £16

Feenie Sat 25-Jul-09 21:01:28

Yes, have flown before but had heard rules have changed. Bar stewards, as you say. Thanks for info, everyone.

Stinkyfeet Sat 25-Jul-09 21:02:52

BA allow a handbag as well as your hand luggage.

cookielove Sat 25-Jul-09 21:04:03

i think it must depend where your flying flew to canada and we didn't have to put handbags away, could take them as carry ons

Drayford Mon 27-Jul-09 10:42:07

Take a bigger bag (beach bag would do) and put your handbag inside during check in, then once on the plane take it out!

I never seem to have problems carrying a handbag and laptop or other bag returning to the UK, it only seems to be British airports that have luggage police!!

neversaydie Mon 27-Jul-09 11:34:43

It depends on the airline. The low cost ones seem to have used it as an oppotunity for more charges, but the commercial carriers (BA, KLM sort of thing) are usually fine with a piece of hand luggange plus a handbag.

Most of the airlines (low cost or not) will place some sort of restriction on the size of your hand baggage as well - again, Ryanair seem to be especially bloody minded on this one. You can usually check what dimensions are acceptable at the airlines website.

European airports are generally less anal about it than UK ones, but by and large what the carrier says goes!

neversaydie Mon 27-Jul-09 11:35:11

opportunity!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now